Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 05:59:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Coastal Night Lights Install  (Read 12087 times)
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:04:49 PM »

Ok guys just a teaser for now, got my underwater lights from Coastal Night Lights in the mail today!!!  Grin Install tomorrow and pics tomorrow night!

Here are the ones i went with:

Im putting one on each side of the motor.

Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:02:27 PM »

Ok guys got the lights installed today and all i can say is wow!!! These things are bright!!

Unfortunately my POS camera battery was dead so i could not take any pics of the install, the good thing is though there would not be much to take pictures of. This install was very easy.  All i had to do was drill a 1/4 inch hole in the transom of the boat and then run the wires through to the rigging tubes that go to the center console.  All you have to remember is to slather the back of the light really good with 5200 to make sure you dont have a leak.

here are the pics

On water clarity scale of 1 to 10, 10 being gin clear this water was about a 1.5 Tongue
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:46:19 AM by Captain Tyler » Logged

Coconut Sunrise
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 08:03:32 PM »

Thats Great !!

I want to install those also

did you consider Colors for Bait attraction ?

Whats the cost of those ?

How did you run the wiring ?

J
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:46:51 AM »

They have blue and green also but with the color of the water around here i chose to go with white because they are the brightest.

Last night i had a school of finger mullet behind the boat so im thinking these are going to work just fine for attracting fish!

Price is 190.00 per light no matter what the color is. (Quite a deal when you consider the other brands of lights.)

For the wiring I drilled a 1/4 inch hole through the transom and then ran the wires to the center console through the rigging tubes.  Once i got the wires in the console i just put a simple toggle switch on the dash.

Just click on the banner at the top of the page that says coastal night lights and it will take you to his site.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:48:40 AM by Captain Tyler » Logged

ScarabChris

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:01:22 AM »

Hi guys,

I am the guy behind the lights. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. You can ask them here or shoot me an email.

I don't own a Panga so I won't be able to offer much help about them but I know alot about boats in general and quite a bit about marine lighting.

Tyler the lights look great. If that is cloudy water wait until you get into some clear water.  Grin
imgranty
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:06:05 AM »

wow, those lights look bright!

I really like LED lights as replacements for my spreader lights. 

i dont see any down side (brighter light, less power draw)

I have a few projects before i get to this, but its on my list.

-Grant

Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:24:58 AM »

They are definitely bright, I cant even imagine how it would look in some clear water.

They also make spreader lights, From the pics the look just as bright

bsotoy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 11:08:41 AM »

Great Lights. Can't wait to get a pair!
ScarabChris

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 11:44:19 AM »

Yes the spreaders are very bright. I use the same LED circuits for the spreaders as the UW lights. the only difference is that for the spreaders I use a 120 degree beam pattern which produces a very even flood of light. They are very comparible in brightness to a 50w halogen but cleaner because the LEDs produce a very crisp white light.

That large picture above is the front of my 30' Scarab and its being lit by one prototype spreader. The light in that pic is actually filtered a little because I had the LEDs in a regular halogen spreader housing so the light was shining through a dirty lens.
Coconut Sunrise
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 08:58:27 PM »

Hey Chris

Do you think I could get by mounting them with a bracket designed to mount on top of the trim tabs ?

Also what life expectancy for the LED,   I know I have some LED in a boat trailer and it appears a few of the Many LED lights
within them are Burning Out ?

Thanks

J
ScarabChris

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »

I don't make any such bracket but I'm sure it can be done. I don't recoment using the large lights though as they may offer to much resistance even at low speed.

Life expectancy of LEDs in general is 40,000 hours. The trailer light failures are mostly because of either water intursion or poor wiring connections. LEDs are very sensitive to voltage. If there is a spike that goes above 15 volts and there is no regulator it will burn the LEDs. Also a poor ground or connection not allowing the proper amount of voltage can shorten the life.
Coconut Sunrise
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 03:15:09 PM »

Chris
So on the install All I need will be a Quality marine switch, with a fuse.  I monitor my electronics voltage and it sometimes runs as low as 11.56
volts to 14.3 volts with engine running or using tilt or trim do i need a regulator ?

Hey Capt Tyler did you get my forwarded E-mail from Chris  Cheesy     What do you think ?

Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 05:37:26 PM »

Got your email, working on it right now!

ScarabChris

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 03:24:52 PM »

Chris
So on the install All I need will be a Quality marine switch, with a fuse.  I monitor my electronics voltage and it sometimes runs as low as 11.56
volts to 14.3 volts with engine running or using tilt or trim do i need a regulator ?

Hey Capt Tyler did you get my forwarded E-mail from Chris  Cheesy     What do you think ?

I don't think you need a regulator on the boat with these. I have not had one issue with a customer burning them out because of voltage fluxuations.
RickyPhillips

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 03:30:59 AM »

Ok guys just a teaser for now, got my underwater lights from Coastal Night led lighting in the mail today!!!  Grin Install tomorrow and pics tomorrow night!

Here are the ones i went with:

Im putting one on each side of the motor.

Lights looks very effective..Can you tell the price and source of purchase of these lights?Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:03:00 AM by RickyPhillips » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: