Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 05:15:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: South FLA bugs and fish  (Read 8593 times)
beavis

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2016, 07:04:59 PM »

My neighbor that I go lobstering with in Miami has been telling me to watch the wind and to come down and get some lobster when the wind lets off some.  Well, the wind has not let off down there at all hardly.  Last week it finally backed down some and the ocean was real calm.  He could not make it and neither could my other neighbor.  Friday the wind was forecast out of the west.  Made the call Thursday at about 8pm to go after everyone else wussed out on going. Tongue 

We had a late start and  did not catch the super calm seas first ting in the morning. I think we left the boat ramp at 11:30.  The winds were still west though in the 10-15 mph range and we were not going far off shore anyway.  Made it out of the inlet and the water was nice and clear.  Started looking at one spot for lobster.  None at the first location but the visibility under water was a good 80-90 feet.  The first spot had a sea turtle hanging around and that was fun to see.  Saw a nice big grouper, probably thirty pounds. Saw the water temp was 75 on the news and the rugrat got cold after an hour.  We managed 5 keeper lobster  in about an hour without looking real hard.  That was enough for dinner so we decided to see what was biting offshore.

I saw another boat kite fishing so I trolled around the area where he was. Not being rude and around him, just equal distance that he was off the beach.  Trolled for about hour north to where there were some wrecks.  As we were getting near one when I was looking back at the lures, I saw a spray that looked different than the boat wake/wind combination.  As I kept watching, I saw a few more.  I turned the boat around to head right towards that area.  Within a minute, I start seeing fish jumping.  Footballs erupted all over the place chasing small flying fish.  I grabbed the first spinner I had an cast out a popper. 2 pops and we have the first fish on. I had it to the rugrat.  I grab the other spinner with a DOA baitbuster and cast that out.  2 seconds after it hits the water, we have number 2 on.  There were tuna and flying fish going everywhere. I saw 2 small flying fish hit the side of my boat. I am surprised a blackfin did not jump in the boat.  While we were landed those , the school moved off and went under. But it was fun while it lasted. 

Of course, he ended up not taking the pictures of me holding my fish.  When we were taking the boat out, this guy was going out.  That thing sounded AWESOME.  Never got to hear him really get on it though.  Maybe next time.

Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 07:46:18 PM »

Man Beavis, every time you post it makes me want to move to florida!

When does lobster season end?

gatorprof

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 04:28:58 AM »

Wow!  My stomach started to rumble when I saw that picture.  What a great trip.  Is that boat a new design from Panga Marine?
reyrey

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 05:28:44 AM »

WTG, Beavis!  Ever try bully netting down here?
beavis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 06:08:59 AM »

Capt Tyler, the season ends at the end of March.  Glad you like my reports.

Gatorprof, it is the original design of the the 18 skiff from 2007. We like to make lobster tacos and they were excellent!

Reyrey, no I have never done the bully netting. I don't know if I would like it. It is too much fun being in the water.  Funny thing, I just heard a story about a guy in the Boca area that has taken 2 years to train his 2 labs to dive down 15 feet and he says they can catch lobster also.
reyrey

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »

If you enjoy sight fishing, I think you'll enjoy bully netting.

Now if he could only teach that dog to report to work.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: