Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 08:40:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 29' Imemsa  (Read 2447 times)
redfishflyfisherdds

View Profile Email
« on: May 08, 2016, 09:53:40 AM »

I am researching purchasing a 29' Imemsa set up w a 200 Suzuki or Yam w jack plate, center console, t-top for offshore fishing gulf off TX as well as bayfishing.  Do any of you have experience w this boat as far as making it a decent performer offshore as well as for bayfishing?  Any real world numbers on what it drafts at rest and what it could feasibly get up in?   Thanks for any info. 
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:12:56 PM »

The 29 foot Imemsa with a 200 hp 4 stroke should rest at 3 to 5 inches, depending on the weight of the flooring you pick, the amount of toys you put in the hull and the overall weight distribution.  Compared to other hulls, the Imemsa floats high in the water.  I would suggest you build a flooring system made of fiberglass and schedule 120 split PVC tubing.  It is light and super strong with no rot issues.  You can refer to my Imemsa 18 and 23 build pictures on this website or I will be happy to send you what I have.  Sorry, but I cannot speak to what it would feasibly get up in...I only see them in the water along the beach or piers and have never ridden in one.

Weather permitting, I would have no issues with running out to the wrecks about 100 miles off Freeport, Texas in a 29.  I have done that in a SeaVee 29.  There are several fisherman in San Felipe, Yucatan that use them 50 miles plus offshore on a daily basis and they are loaded down with nets, generators and air compressors...but then these guys are fearless.

In my estimation, you will not be able to get all the info you are looking for from Imemsa...they do not think like that.

Good luck mi amigo!

Living in Panga Heaven!
redfishflyfisherdds

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  In your opinion would twin 90s push a 29 well?  Adding about 180 extra lbs back there but for running offshore that peace of mind may be worth the extra weight.  Thoughts? And thanks for your reply.
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »

First and foremost, unlike many who post to this website, I am no expert but I will share my opinion with you.

1.  I fish offshore in Mexico...30 to 40 miles during tournaments
2.  Our deep sea boat has one engine but we do have a great radio
3.  2 90 hp motors will burn more fuel than a single 200
4.  The extra weight will be an issue in more ways than one
5.  I have only experienced engine failure one time and it was giving us problems before we left the marina.

Final Analysis:  It's your call...flip a coin.

Living in Panga Heaven!
Walt
Blue Star Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 04:52:19 AM »

Having twins may make you feel more secure, but the reality is not so much. The two most popular reasons people are stranded on the water envolve fuel and battery issues. Having a second motor won't help you with either of these problems. Most issues are generated by poor maintenance and poor judgement.

Your best insurance for offshore trips is to have a buddy boat go with, have a good
radio, and an Epirb. Be careful when using a buddy boat, make sure your going with someone who takes care of their equipment. Being the tow bitch sucks almost as bad as being towed. A 40 mile tow could envolve 6 hours or more.

Good Luck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: