Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 12:54:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Panga 18' skiff power opinions  (Read 2755 times)
Park

View Profile Email
« on: July 08, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »

Hey guys/gals,

Wondering if anyone has an opinion on powering the 18' skiff. I'm thinking about maxing out to 115 hp. but wondering if a 90 hp. [less money/weight] would be a wiser choice?

I'm also planning on going with the Etec.

Thanks in advance.
trip

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »

I have a 20' skiff with a 115 Etec and it runs just fine.  But, if I had the funds I would put the max on the boat.  After you run it for a while you will want more.  Just my opinion.
Park

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 12:43:25 PM »

Thanks Trip,
Are you running a jack plate? If so, which one?

Are you running trim tabs?

Thanks!
Ridefree

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 07:01:07 PM »

I'm running a Yamaha F70 with stainless prop and it is perfect for me. If I know I'll have more weight on board I go with my same sized aluminum and it makes up a lot. I run at 20mph, 4,000 rpms (stainless). I get between 8.5 and 10 mpg. Top speed 33 mph. Can plane at 13.5, but I have trim tabs and that helps (I think they are a must BTW).

I can tow the kids on a 3 person tube (3 on tube, one in boat plus me) and they fly (aluminum prop)!
trip

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 03:33:13 AM »

Thanks Trip,
Are you running a jack plate? If so, which one?

Are you running trim tabs?

Thanks!

Park I do not have a jack plate but I am running trim pads and they are very helpful.  I'm running a SS 15 in pitch prop, with 4 people, full of fuel I get 5900 WOT at 35 mph.  I believe a stern lift prop would help.
Park

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 07:15:49 AM »

Thanks guys,
Your experiences are helpful. I'll keep you posted.
Capt Brennan
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »

Trip, just curious, do you have a TTop? Bait tank, how is your 20 configured?

Captain Mike Brennan
Master, 100 ton, steam, motor or auxiliary sail vessel
gatorprof

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 09:47:42 AM »

I'm running the same setup as Ridefree, a PM 18 and Yamaha 70, and I am very happy with its performance and gas economy (same as Ridefree).  BTW, my 18 rides much better with some weight forward, so having a heavy transom is something I would research, like trying to find some similarly rigged 18's to wet test with those heavier outboards/gear.  I have trim tabs and a Powerpole, and side console - no jack plate.

Best wishes. 
trip

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 10:09:23 AM »

Just the basic SS20.   No TTop.  Just a bimini, 29 gal fuel tank, guide console with seat, deluxe leaning post, 115 Etec with 14.5X15 SS prop, trim tabs.  Also has a swim platform.  Will be adding a trolling motor and a couple batt's.
Ridefree

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 01:46:24 PM »

I'm running the same setup as Ridefree, a PM 18 and Yamaha 70, and I am very happy with its performance and gas economy (same as Ridefree).  BTW, my 18 rides much better with some weight forward, so having a heavy transom is something I would research, like trying to find some similarly rigged 18's to wet test with those heavier outboards/gear.  I have trim tabs and a Powerpole, and side console - no jack plate.

Best wishes. 

Just got in from about 9 hours on the water. Noticed that at about 3,000 rpms I was able to plane, and that was about 13 mph. 20 mph was actually 3,900 rpms, not 4,000. Could have had a little tide with me.

Of note is that the boats are narrow and I think that a 90 hp motor with 120 more pounds than my F70 will be tail heavy. I use trim tabs to put the nose down a little and put all my movable weight forward as it is (6 gallon spare rule, 2 anchors, and I put my 12 gallons of main fuel in from of my center console when I do not have passengers. It should be noted that my center console is slightly aft of center, as I use the rear deck to sit on (my boat started its life as a tiller steer with a 60 hp Honda).

Also, for those that think the narrow boat would cause it to be unstable I say no way. It is surprisingly stable side to side, and does quite well in chop. The "Panga speed" is nice when I want to keep my passengers comfortable though. Although today I ran into a pretty good chop at about 28 mph and the boat cut right through it.
Capt Brennan
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 04:57:20 PM »

Just the basic SS20.   No TTop.  Just a bimini, 29 gal fuel tank, guide console with seat, deluxe leaning post, 115 Etec with 14.5X15 SS prop, trim tabs.  Also has a swim platform.  Will be adding a trolling motor and a couple batt's.

Interesting ... Thanks for the reply Trip, my apologies to all else for the distraction.

Captain Mike Brennan
Master, 100 ton, steam, motor or auxiliary sail vessel
gatorprof

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 02:09:50 PM »

BTW, I have no liner on my 18 (as most do not), and I use two 6-gallon plastic tanks located in the stern under my seat/aft casting deck.  If by any chance you have your fuel tank midship, that would help.  Otherwise, many of us run with about 10-12 gallons X 7 lbs of fuel far stern. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: