Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 07:10:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eduardono Pangas vs others  (Read 2618 times)
Tang Tonic

View Profile Email
« on: July 12, 2016, 12:07:55 PM »

Greetings fellow Panga enthusiasts!

I currently have the 14' Eduardono Panga that was sold through Panga.com.  I've had the boat 6 years now and its been great to me.  Its got a 30 hp military spec Johnson and flies like a bat out of hell!  I live in St. Croix, US Virgin Islands and use the boat for spearfishing and surfing missions.  Since St. Croix is not surrounded by islands like the rest of the Virgin Islands, I have to choose my days wisely. The boat has handled every ocean condition I've put her in, including up to 10' swells and the typical 4-6' trade swell that is here year round.  But being tiller steered, it can get uncomfortable (although the tiller is a blast to surf the waves with!)

So I am ready to step it up to a bigger Panga for big game fishing and trips to St. Thomas on days when conditions permit.  I'm lucky here on St. Croix, deep water is less than 1 mile offshore.  I have been studying all the options, Imemsa, Panga Marine, Mimsa, and Eduardono.  I have seen how my Eduardono has held up great in the tropical environment here.  Gel coat still looks great and the inside still looks new with the minimal maintenance I've done. 

Can anyone comment on how the Eduardono Corvina 26' compares to the Imemsa and Panga Marine?  I can get an Eduardono out of Puerto Rico much cheaper than it would cost me to bring an Imemsa or Panga Marine from the states. 

From my experience with the Eduardono 14' Panga, I wouldn't hesitate to get another, but I want to make sure I wouldn't selling myself short by not getting something from another manufacturer. The one difference I see is the foam collar around the Imemsa and Panga Marine.  I don't believe the Eduardono boats have them, at least mine doesn't.  But not sure how useful it really is because if your boat is flooded up to the top of the gunnels, I don't think you would be able to bail it out. 

Thanks in advance for any input you have.  I've enjoyed reading this forum and have been learning a lot. 
nfairbank

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »

I looked at getting  a Barracuda 320 and was very impressed by the finish and also by the responsiveness of Eduardono. I would think that as the Corvina is a commercial vessel, the finish would not be as good, but the build quality would be the same.

From my limited knowledge, I would suggest that a standard Eduardono vessel is better than all of the counterparts you mention. This is not meant as a derogatory comment to the others, rather based upon the fact that Yamaha are their parent company and have a history of good building practices.

As you are in St. Croix did you look at the Pirogues made by Calypso Marine in Trinidad. Their 34' is a tank.

http://www.calypsomarine.com/index2.html
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 05:25:12 PM »

nfairbank,Yamaha is also the parent company of Imemsa and has been for about 20 years.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 06:49:24 PM by pescamexicana » Logged

Living in Panga Heaven!
Tang Tonic

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 06:27:45 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.  I have the 14' Eduardono Corvina which has been great and I'm happy with the finish.

I'm still curious on Eduardonos compared to Imemesas.  I have never seen an Imemsa in person or been on one under way.  Just curious if they handle similarly and any other differences between the two.  Also very curious on the foam flotation collar, I believe Imemsa has one and Eduardono does not, can anyone confirm this?  Seems like if the boat got completely swamped, at least the flotation collar would keep it sinking to the bottom.
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 01:55:01 PM »

Tang, do not let the foam collar be the selling point for Imemsa over the Eduardo panga.  While the foam collar is nice and looks traditional, I can assure you it will not support the weight of a sinking panga.  If I were you, I would take the foam collar out of the equation and purchase your panga on other merits.  If you do that, you will probably get the panga that makes you the happiest overall...and after all, isn't that really what it is all about.

Living in Panga Heaven!
captcook

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »

I've got a Imemsa 26 here on St. Croix. Let me know if you want to look at it or take it for a spin.

Colt
979-216-7018
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: