Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 06:12:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: La Paz Built Gem or a money pit?  (Read 1392 times)
GorDog

View Profile Email
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:21:22 PM »

This is in ok shape.  The transom is solid and so is the bottom. Floor could use replacing.    But not sure if I would right away.
Trailer is a rust bucket.  Comes with a 35 Yanmar Diesel that has tilt and trim. Has not been in water for 10 years...

Questions for you guys that own similar. This does not have sub-flooring or foam filled.
and it uses a bilge.  I'd worry that if I put 6" stringers and foam filled. the sides would be too short.

Obviously I think adding stringers, foam and scuppers would be great.. but I am just worried about the height.

it is 22 ft from the tip to transom.   The trailer is a rust bucket.
He wants $4000 with the motor.. and I offered $1000.  So far no deal has been struck.

I'd want to take the floor out. And put in some sort of stringer but I am thinking only 3-6" and having a bilge?? Thoughts??

trip

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:12:45 AM »

May be a money pit but not sure.  What condition is the motor?  You did right by offering $1k.  I wouldn't go up much if any but then boat prices are different in the SE.  Would be an interesting boat project.   Cool
GorDog

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 10:51:06 AM »

Agreed. the Motor looks good. .But I dont want  35hp Diesel    Heard the yanmar is a good motor, but is a smoker and loud. 
I want a Yamaha F70 or Honda 60  I want a 4 stroke GAS

It would be a really fun project.  but when you consider a brand new Mimsa 25 for or Imemsa W-25 is $10K
I need to go to Ensenada and see what a 23' hull would cost new. 

I think if the trailer was decent.. and usable for a few years.  I'd be tempted   but that ads another $2500
It has great lines, looks solid built. Transom is in great condition and solid. I pounded on it all over and it is solid

$1000 Boat
$2500 Trailer-new
$3000 decent used motor/rigged  $7500 new
Who knows for a new floor, and paint job
He has a CC for it that looks decent and I have bait tank someplace in storage.

In a weird way. I want it. . Because you can kick it, scrap it, bang it, than flush motor in fresh water hose it off and go home.
I dont want a boat I fuss over when somebody scaps or bangs it.  Function over beauty!

My plan is to fish Gulf of Mexico/Baja with it and just off the coast here in So. Cal and northern Baja  Not taking it more than 9 mile bank
and mostly just along the kelp beds off La Jolla and Pt Loma.

The big debate in my head has been.. to find a decent used 22' Mako with a trailer and repower or W-25/Mimsa and build it my way  Shocked Huh Undecided

pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 07:53:03 AM »

All of the pangas I currently own were purchased used and were then refurbished.  I look at used pangas for sale on a regular basis.  IMHO, you exceeded the price I would pay when you offered $1,000.00 and, for what it's worth, a new Imemsa W25 is less than $5,000 (all day every day), not $10,000.  Again, that is just my opinion.  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 01:15:25 PM by pescamexicana » Logged

Living in Panga Heaven!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: