Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 05:12:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cuba 23 re-power  (Read 1325 times)
captmjv

View Profile Email
« on: October 23, 2016, 10:10:42 AM »

Hi guys new to the forum. I have had my 08 cuda 23' for four years and have a honda 225 with 850hrs which has started to give me troubles. Thinking about re-powering lately and wondering if its really worth it? I have seen that most andros's are coming with evinrude's. Just wondering if a 250 is going to be the way to go since I have a tower, and what numbers they are getting? Also what props are some of you using? I currently have a four blade. Love the instant hole shot hate the top end at 34mph for the long runs here in key west.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:34:05 AM by captmjv » Logged
DC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 07:41:32 AM »

For what it's worth:  I have a 26 Tarpon with hardtop that came with a 2009 G1 300, Rev 4/19 pitch and topped at 50-51 mph.  Cruise was between 27-34 mph and I forget the rpm.  Loved the prop.  Good hole shot, didn't blow out and responded well. 

I re-powered last year with a 250HO G2, RX4/18 pitch which didn't work at all (couldn't get max RPM).  I think a 16 pitch would be better, but where I live there is no prop exchange so I'm being careful in what I buy.  I ended up with a OSF4 Powertech at...I think 17 pitch...not by the boat now.  It is much better and holds well in turns without blow out, but I lost about 5mph at top end.  The 300 got about 2.9 to 3.1 mph at cruise of 27-34 mph with the Rev 4.  The G2 burns about 9-11 gph and 3.1-3.4 mpg. at cruise of around 27rpm. with the OSF4.

I plan on going back to the Rev 4 and see if I can recover my speed.

The G2 is heavier than the G1 (but I think still lighter than your Honda) and will sit back farther on your Porta Bracket, but it is a nice engine.  I extended my shaft length to 25", which is needed on the Tarpon and I would imagine also on your Cuda.  You won't blow out as easily and you get the motor out of the water a bit.  The fly by wire is nice (and costly) also.  Hope this helps and good luck.

snook321
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 03:49:44 PM »

For what it worth I recently repowered my 23' with a Suzuki 250. When I bought my boat it originally bought it with a E-tec 200 G-1. My dad had one on his flats boat and it was a good motor. I Never liked my E-tec and it had issues, a bunch at that. Most under warranty which was good but it still equals down time. I use my boat a ton and down time is not cool. Even without the issues buying oil is a pain in the ass.

I have over a 100 hrs on my new Zuke. Better hole shot, more top end, better mpg, and no more buying oil that no one sells. Its a tad more heavy at about 80 lbs but I don't notice it at all. I have a Hard top with a half tower.

34mph is your top end? I'm not even propped right and mine is 43mph.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 04:02:12 PM by snook321 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: