Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 02:14:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Working on Getting a Captiva:  (Read 660 times)
Russ in Rockport

View Profile Email
« on: August 22, 2017, 04:25:34 PM »

Hi folks,

Not certain how active this board is these days, but I thought I would get involved in order to milk folks of as much information as possible.  I am very close to settling on a new Captiva 22.  I have talked with Rob and as everyone says, he is super helpful.  I live about 3/4 mile from the shallow bays of South Texas--not the really skinny stuff of Laguna Madre, but anywhere from 6 inches to 12 feet deep.  And I can trailer about 20 miles for offshore work.  I would consider the 29 foot New Horizon, but (a) I really can't afford it and (b) I have trouble facing my current little 17 foot Flats Cat into its storage unit.  Plus, with the 22 footer, I wouldn't be tempted to go far enough offshore to get myself into real trouble.

What I would like to ask (and yes, I will be reading all the threads on this forum shortly) is this: How many of you have taken your 20 foot Super Skiff or 22 footer (Marquesas, Boca Grande, or Captiva) offshore, if so, how far, and under what conditions are you comfortable with taking it into blue water.  What has been your experience?

Thanks, and there will be more questions to come.

Russ
trip

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:44:55 AM »

Welcome aboard Russ.  I have a 20SS with a Etec 115 and have been out as far as 20 miles out of Anclote Fl. running in three ft. swells.  Never felt unsafe.  I have some spots I plan to fish 22-23 miles out of Hudson later this year weather permitting.  You just have to pick your days and have fun. 

On the other hand I have been in Tampa Bay under small craft advisory to see how the boat handled and will not do that again.  Never felt in danger but it would be to easy to make a mistake, things could go bad quick and it was to rough to enjoy.  Don't know how much experience you have but just take your time, learn as you go and don't rush it.

Check out http://www.thehulltruth.com/ if you haven't already.  Ton's of good info there. 
beavis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »

Hey Russ,

I run an 18 panga skiff with a tiller and take it offshore a good amount on the Atlantic coast of Florida.  I always have to pay attention to the weather and I carry plenty of safety equipment.  I have been out as far as 35 miles or so.  Regularly out to 20 at certain locations. I have been caught 20 out when the weather did not do what the weather man said it would do...imagine that.....and it was just a much longer ride home than usual. I know of someone near me that has a Niente that would go as far about 45 miles out on nicer days.  It just all depends on your confidence in your ability and the confidence you have in your boat.  One of the first things I did when i got mine was take it out in 4 foot nastiness to know what it will do.

Let us know how you like and post some pictures when you get it.
tino160

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »

Very impressed with the seaworthiness, Even with the low freeboard it feels very safe. Mine is their regular 22' not the captive. the high bow give a lot of confidence. First fishing trip was 65 mile offshore out of grand isle. Only had 6 hours on the boat and motor before the trip. Had it in some pretty bad conditions a few times so far and always felt safe. Pick your days and go as far as you want.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN4ZpWUeq78&app=desktop          Here is the buld thread on mine if you want to see whats under the hood. I bought just the bare hull with stringers from them, But I don't think they offer that anymore. you will not be dissapointed.  http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/724921-panga-marine-22-build.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: