Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 03:33:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Imemsa 23 Restoration  (Read 21949 times)
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 06, 2012, 04:36:55 PM »

If you followed the restoration of my Imemsa 18 you will immediately see that this boat is in much better shape than the 18.  I purchased this 23 from a gringo in Cancun.  The finished product will be similar to the 18 but with some noticable differences.  My target is to have no more than $3,500 in the panga upon completion.  It is presently in the water in Cancun but will be moved to Roberto's in the Colonia in the next ten day (Mexico time).  I have to wait my turn at Roberto's shop and there is a panga finishing up and another one ahead of me.  No, the Yahama 60HP Enduro does not go with the panga but a new 60HP will be replacing it.  I hope you enjoy the build.  Tom
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:48:20 AM by pescamexicana » Logged

Living in Panga Heaven!
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:38:41 PM »

Front view with factory deck.

Living in Panga Heaven!
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:39:58 PM »

Side view

Living in Panga Heaven!
Freedbaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 07:08:57 PM »

Subscribed!!!  I have the same boat but in much worse shape and no center console.  I am not sure where to start so I'll be watching this thread to see exactly what you are going to do.

What are your plans??
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:59:11 AM by Freedbaby » Logged
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:21:53 AM »

After several months of delay (life has a way of getting in the way) we have finally started the restoration of the Imemsa 23.  The delay caused me to rethink the interior configuration of the panga and over the next few postings you will see it change and come to life.  I hope you enjoy.  Roberto, my glass guy, is the absolute best.  All modifications are made with fiberglass or glass covered PVC...no wood.  All of the original wood in the panga, with the exception of the transom, is being removed and replaced with glass.  Additional glass will be added to the transom.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:50:10 AM by pescamexicana » Logged

Living in Panga Heaven!
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »

Smoothing out the sides

Living in Panga Heaven!
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »

Rear to front view of current interior

Living in Panga Heaven!
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:28:25 AM »

Front to rear view of current interior

Living in Panga Heaven!
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 11:30:12 AM »

After sanding the sideboards smooth.  Now the paint will go on smooooooth.  Yes, the first bottom coat of anti-foul paint was blue and the 2 final coats are black.  A personal preference reason for doing it this way.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:36:03 AM by pescamexicana » Logged

Living in Panga Heaven!
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »

Removal of factory wooden/glass seat and more here and there glass work

Living in Panga Heaven!
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 03:07:38 PM »

Building the floor sections:  4 layers of glass, split PVC and 4 more layers of glass.  Light, no give and no rot.  Six additional layers of fresh glass now covers the transom.  The floor sections are now complete and the side seats just came out of the mold.  Roberto is adding extra glass to the hull stringers today and the floor should be in by late Wednesday afternoon.  At that point, we will position and fit the side seats.  All of the exterior sanding and preperation for paint is now complete.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:24:41 PM by pescamexicana » Logged

Living in Panga Heaven!
Shrimper

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »

I am really enjoying your photos.  I like your deck design using the glass over pvc pipe it looks like it will be both strong and rot resistant and the best part of it all it's cheap to build.  Keep the photos coming.
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 06:36:12 PM »

Shrimper, the floors are absolutely incredible.  Four layers of mat and cloth, then the split PVC topped off with another four layers of mat and cloth.  There is no sag or soft spots.  The seats are built the exact same way except they use six layers instead of eight with the PVC between layers three and four.  Roberto is 71 and has been building fiberglass boats and cars for over 50 years.  You have to get on a waiting list for his services but he is worth the wait.

Living in Panga Heaven!
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »

Trying photobucket for the first time...hope this works.  We have added a lot of glass to the stringers and actually added a new stringer aty the rear of the boat.  The floors will be going in tomorrow and the side seats will be going in Saturday.  The seats will add structural rigity to the sides of the hull to eliminate most flex.  Side seating is used because we wanted to end up with a panga we could walk around in without stepping over factory.  We are very happy with the way the Panga 23 is coming together.  The nonslip surfaces will be added next week along with the final glass work and then it will be ready for painting.  I will be adding to the gallery again on Saturday.  Enjoy, Tom

http://s1068.photobucket.com/albums/u445/pescamexicana/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 03:43:16 PM by pescamexicana » Logged

Living in Panga Heaven!
Shrimper

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »

What are you using to give the stringers their flat box shape?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: