Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 05:10:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Andros Power  (Read 6564 times)
mako557

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »

Guys,
In your opinion, what is the minimum power option for a 26' Tarpon?  I know the hull is designed to be efficient with lower hp, but I want to be able to go around 40 kts top end--would like to cruise around 32-35kts.  Is this reasonable with a 200 four stroke?  I see that the Tarpon 26 is rated for as much as a 300hp--what kind of numbers does that run?  I am aware that the Panga-hull is not a racer, but I would like to get where I'm going.

Also, how realistic is the advertised 10" draft?  I live in TX and ideally would like a boat that could get reasonably skinny inshore(not looking for a flats boat) and, can still handle the gulf chop.  10" draft is plenty to do that, if that number is accurate.

Thanks
pathfinder11

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:40:47 PM »

mine(with a full tower) is perfectly powered with a Suzuki 250 and i probably wouldn't go below a 225, the time tested  minimum hp recommendation is 75% of max. worst thing is to have an underpowered boat, it will piss u off everytime u get in it and it will be harder to sell when you're ready to move on. by the way mine is for sale if you're looking to get one quick.
I've run on plane across 12" flats in the keys with mine and I'm pretty sure it will float in 12" as well. you're not going to pop up on plane in 10".

pathfinder 24, yamaF225, NPB, Fl
andros, tarpon 26, suzu 250, marathon,Fl

marathon condo with 32' slip for rent
http://www.domegos.com/8442/indigo+reef+resort
Freedbaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 02:41:28 AM »

Where in Texas are you?  When I get mine, which should be in a few weeks, you're welcome to go for a ride.  LMK.
mako557

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »

Sorry, Ive been away for awhile.  Thanks for the advice on the power--I totally agree that I would be unhappy with an underpowered boat.  Freedbaby, I live in Corpus--where are you?
Freedbaby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 06:58:49 PM »

I'll pm you
tigerbait

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 03:30:52 PM »

I run a Suzuki 4 stroke 225 on my Tarpon 26 and it runs well over the numbers you would require.  Speed is fine and power is fine with 225, but probally would not go any less hp.  As for draft, I run across Estes Flats all day long, but need at least 2.5 feet of water under boat to get up on plane and not hit bottom with skeg.  I can float the boat in mid shin water and troll out with Porta Bracket all the way and motor trimmed up some.  So, 10 in draft is really true, but really what is the differnce between 10-12".  This boat design is a great Texas Mid-Coast boat to cross choppy bays in Spring to get to your favorite spots in some flats and having a nice safe boat for short range offshore fishing.  What it is not is a Texas Flats Boat running in 4 inches of water, but the Tarpon allows for a smooth dry ride to get you to the skinny flats, mid-bay reefs, and barrier islands.
Rexp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 07:37:15 AM »

Where in Texas are you?  When I get mine, which should be in a few weeks, you're welcome to go for a ride.  LMK.
I am also in TX. where are you buying? i can not get a straight price from TX dealer unless i want to pay Fl. tax .
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:06:57 AM by Rexp » Logged
Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 09:59:51 AM »

I drove a 26 Tarpon with a 300hp suzuki about 4 years ago.  It had the tower that allows standing on console with controls and trolling motors on trim tabs so there was a lot of weight/wind drag including all the gear.  It still got 51 mph on gps loaded ready for fishing.  It was little slow out of the hole but that was the three blade prop.  A 250 yamaha sho or 250 etec would be nice power and not to heavy on the back end if you do some shallow water work.  I loved the boat.

I am driving a 26' Imensa now with a 200 HO etec.  Info is in International panga section.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: