Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 12:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of re-powering my panga  (Read 11669 times)
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« on: April 25, 2012, 07:37:42 PM »

I am thinking about re-powering my boat...I go offshore too much and not too confident in the ole 1.7L diesel any more. I would just feel a lot safer with two motors on the back. I am thinking of running the yamaha 90hp 4-strokes or e-tec's.  What do you think the fuel consumption would be like compared to the diesel? I just want to get some thoughts so when I do decide, I'll know what to do.

A friend of mine just installed a yanmar 180hp that will probably last forever but I still don't like the thought of one motor. Plus I can probably get two brand new outboards cheaper than the price of the yanmar.

Huh

CHASIN' HOO
conway

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 01:38:12 AM »

Bird Chaser,

i have the 26 Angler and would have gone twins as well for the reliability but with fuel prices here i opted for a single 175 Suzuki. I had twin 60 yamaha 4 strokes on my last boat and clocked 800hrs with no problems and always felt safe many miles out to sea.

I work in Fisheries here and we run twin 140 Suzuki on a 7.1m rigid inflatable work boat. Its heavy with alot of patrol gear etc. Running on 4500 revs we use 30 litres an hour (gallons ?) total for the 2 motors. Its a different hull than the panga and different motors than you are thinking about but should give you some comparison.
I still like the yamahas and think a pair of 90's would be nice!
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 04:12:05 AM »

Conway,

Thanks for the input. Do you remember what the consumption was like with 175 on the panga?

The twin suzuki's sound pretty good to. 30L/h is about 7.9gal/h which isn't bad. I'm sure the little yamahas shouldn't be to bad either.

I'm trying to get in contact with angler as well to see what the power options are for the new line up. Hopefully they should have some specs as well.

Keep it comin guys!

CHASIN' HOO
conway

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:59:01 PM »

I've just bought a hds 7 with a fuel flow gauge which i'm fitting today. So far i don't really know the milage as i haven't been refilling the tank and the dash gauge is all over the place. I did set up a small tank on the deck which i put 25 litres into and ran the boat at 4500 which is the normal rev range for me. It used the tank in an hour. Will have more accurate milage when i run with the gps.
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:45:39 AM »

Sounds good...standing bye!

CHASIN' HOO
Hunter

Master 200 ton Steam and Power

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »

We have two 85 HP Yamaha 2 strokes on or 27 ft panga and a single 50 HP 4stroke on our 23 ft.  We run the 27 at 3500 to 4000 RPMs and on a normal day, 2 hours running and 6 hours trolling and we burn 75 liters (about 20 gals US)  We run out and back at 20-22 MPH and troll on one engine at 5 to 6.  On the 23, we cruise at 22-24 at 4500 RPM and consume 10 ltrs (2.6 Gals) per hour.  I am considering swapping the two strokes for a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke for the economy.  We usually fish 20 to 60 miles offshore, and have never had an engine failure in the past 6 years.  We have no access to fresh water so we never flush the engines but they run 300 days a year and we do 100 hour maintenance religously.
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:16:01 AM »

Hunter, Thanks for the info. Swapping out the 2strokes for the 4stroke sounds like a good idea. Not having a failing in 6 years for all that running sounds really good too!

I got some information back from angler but the main report I was looking for didn't have the fuel consumption with the twin yamaha 90's. I'm hoping they get back to me with something.

But trying to do some comparisons....I found this boat that has twin 115's and fuel consumption isn't too bad compared to the diesel at the same RPM....given that the boat is a bit heavier and the hull is not as streamlined as the panga.  I think the 90's would be a good choice. I would even consider twin 75's Huh

Cummins 2.0L 170HP - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-gG8VBG32WzNkNYRE5lSlZEbkE
Yamaha F90 - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-gG8VBG32WzSWpEYVpCTE15WDQ
Sundance 25' twin F115 - http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/bulletin_4stroke_midthrustjetport_bss_sdc_nx25_t_f115txr_2011-07-26_bay_0.pdf
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:30:04 AM by Bird Chaser » Logged

CHASIN' HOO
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:48:58 AM »

Well I'm no longer thinking.....I have to! Last day of the tournament I lost my engine. #2 cylinder has no compression and I am not going to spend the money to rebuild it to have it eventually fail again. Don't know where I'm leaning yet but I may go Yanmar......we'll see.

CHASIN' HOO
chipinga

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »

Hi Guys,

just bought a panga 26 today with bracket/pod (what a relief!) . I am looking at a Suzuki DF 175 (preferred option), 200 or 225 I really would like to hear from anyone out there who has any of these and what their thoughts are before I ship the unit to Australia.

Our fuel (gasoline) is pretty expensive $1.60 litre, but having said that I might getter better economy with the bigger motors working less. I will run a max of 5 people plus gear (fishing or spearfishing) on day trips.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
conway

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 04:12:48 AM »

I did a run on the weekend and totalled 166 nautical mile round trip over 2 days using the trip gauge on the gps. 26 Angler panga, 175 Suzuki 3 guys with 2 large ice boxes and ice, dive gear etc and a full 415 litre tank. I ran the boat at 4500 cruising at 25 knots. Just refilled the boat and it took 235 litres (62 gallons) which i'm happy with. I don't have a t-top at the moment so expect the economy to drop off a little when i get the top on. I averaged 1.4 ltres per mile per hour running with that load at that rpm.

Good luck with your import Tony and i'm sure you'll be as happy with the boat as i am.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:55:31 AM by conway » Logged
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 04:55:37 AM »

Just got a report from my buddy that put in a 180HP Yanmar and he filled up yesterday and ran 291nm (335miles) and used 51 imperial gal (61us gal).  That included 2 guys, fishing gear, 1 cooler and 1 tuna bag both filled with ice cruising at 3000rpm @ 23kts and high speed trolling @ 14kts and not to mention running and gunning for dolphin.

Yeah......I think I'm going back diesel!  Wink
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:02:12 AM by Bird Chaser » Logged

CHASIN' HOO
conway

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 02:00:23 AM »

That's amazing economy! If you can get the reliabilty from a Yanmar then that sounds like the way to go. The trade off would be the motor on the floor but it would be a fair price to pay with economy like that.

Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 05:29:51 AM »

Yeah I was looking forward to closing up the engine compartment and getting more deck space but the fuel economy of the diesel wins.

Right now I'm waiting on a price on the Cummins QSD 170Hp, but Mercruiser is taking back over Cummins, so they are in the middle of that. I hope this means the prices will go down too!  The reason I may go with the Cummins is because it can bolt right back up to my Alpha Gen 2 drive....the Yanmar uses the Bravo 2 which is more expense.

CHASIN' HOO
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 04:49:29 AM »

Just to give you guys an update.....I decided to go with a brand new QSD 170Hp including new transom assembly and Bravo 2 drive......I got a price that I couldn't refuse!! So it's just a waiting game now...there is a 65 day lead time on the motor  Huh

Picture is shown with an alpha drive.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:51:56 AM by Bird Chaser » Logged

CHASIN' HOO
ericmarine81

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »

Hi this is my first time on a forum so hello. have you looked into twin 115hp optimax? they are light wight powerful and very fuel efficient.
also parts are ez to come by. I re powered my 26 with twin 90 2 stroke and was not happy with the power.Don't get me wrong i love the outboards but not for this re power. The optimax delivers true power at the prop.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: