Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 06:10:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of re-powering my panga  (Read 11685 times)
Bckcast

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »

I'm having nightmares with my 1.7L diesel.  Will the new 170hp cummins use my Alpha 2 outdrive?  What would it cost to get one installed?

Reed
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »

My dealer told me it can work but I think with the added horsepower and torque of the 170 I would go with a bravo 2.

I'm having nightmares with my 1.7L diesel.  Will the new 170hp cummins use my Alpha 2 outdrive?  What would it cost to get one installed?

Reed

CHASIN' HOO
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »

Haven't been on here in a while and 9 months later I'm still dead in the water. Due to some financial constraints and trying to keep the kids in private school I haven't purchased a engine yet.  Hopefully I'll get back in the water someday. I still haven't decided which route to go yet either....stick with an I/O diesel or a single or twin outboards Huh And now that its coming up on tournament time I wanna get out so bad! Cry even if I could find a used outboard with low hours I would consider going that route but around here they are few and far apart. I even tried searching online in the Florida area but no luck. Sorry for the rant but I need to get back on the water......bad!

CHASIN' HOO
Bckcast

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »

Well, I finally got a brand new short block for my 1.7 L diesel.  Took 6 months to get one, so I think they made it to order.  It's running like  a dream.  Last engine gave me nearly 1000 hrs before a piston burned. Supposedly, these new blocks have that problem solved.

However, I promise to run this engine at 3600 or below.  Hell that gets me 24 mph. I'm also taking off the stainless prop ( only allows revs to 4100 -- should rev up to 4400) and going with a less aggressive prop.

Any other suggestions for increased longevity?
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 07:36:23 PM »

Where did you order the block from and what other parts did you have to replace? What did it run you and where did you have the work done? You got me thinking of sending my engine out to have it repaired.

CHASIN' HOO
Bckcast

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »

It cost, bottom line, around $10,000 by the time I was finished.  That's the new short block (with pistons/valves etc.) , a new #3 injector, new water pump, new timing belt, and all the gaskets  and labor.
the short block was ordered from Mercruiser.  Backordered six months, which tells me they manufactured it on demand.
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »

Hey what do you guys think about the new E-tec 90HO?  This would probably be a good setup with twins.....or what about a E-tec 200HO?

Yes I'm still without a motor but I have a 14' Eduardono with a Yamaha 25Hp Enduro....it's not like the 26 footer but it gets me out on the water.  I'll post some pics in the other threads.

CHASIN' HOO
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: