Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 06:02:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Building an 18 skiff! Options opinions  (Read 25796 times)
Branch

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »

Picked up the new to me 18 skiff on Friday....now the work begins. First question is on prop selection. I am looking at a 40 hp Honda (tiller) anyone have this setup? I would like to know what SS prop you are running. I will also check with rob at the factory.
Other questions I have:
on the 40hp range what size fuel tanks do you have?

For the non self-bailing skiffs what size bilge pump? I was thinking the bigger the better 1100gph. A little CYA as I run Sebastian inlet and it gets nasty quick.
I have lots of other ideas however for now I just want to get on the water!
Thanks
Jamie.
marlin410

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:19:26 AM »

Mine has a 40 etec, which works well with two 6 gallon portables. Occasionally I would like a little more hp so consider what you can get in the same weight range.
Branch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 05:57:47 AM »

Marlin, do you want the HP for top end speed or the ability to plane with heaver load?
What about a 4 blade? Less top end better torque.

Most of the time I will be running with the family wife, 2 kids and dog. Net weight approx. 425lbs.
When not with the family I can see running with more than 3 guys to fish. So 600 lbs.
Very thought to find a used 50hp tiller.
marlin410

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:25:06 AM »

I usually have about the same in mine, wife, two kids, ice chest, tackle, etc.  Planing is not really an issue and top speed loaded is nearly 30.  I have a three bladed stainless prop.  I would like to add trim tabs though because the bow stand pretty high at low speed before it planes out.

I do find myself running full throttle most of the time, I guess that is why I would like a little extra hp so I could run at less than wot.
Branch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 05:30:22 PM »

Marlin thank you for taking the time to reply. Could you tell me the dimensions of your prop?
I will get better pictures up soon....by the way if anyone is interested the whaler is for sale! Grin panga sneaking up....
marlin410

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »

two nice looking boats there!  I have no idea what the prop specs are, I bought the boat used w/ only 36 hrs on it and just ran it the way I got it. The prop is a stainless VIPER model.

Don't misunderstand, I am happy with it the way it is. But if I could have bought a 60 etec at the same weight and dimensions It might have been even better.

Also I usually have both tanks full but rarely need much more than 3 gallons to go fishing. Only once did I ever switch tanks and that was an ALL day fishing trip with a lot of traveling.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:48:08 PM by marlin410 » Logged
wildman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 06:35:08 PM »

Branch,

I have a yami 60 two stroke - center console I put in with some other "mods" and I am running a 13.75 15 3 blade cupped and I am running wot 5800 easy and run 35 mph with a BUNCH of weight with the mods and two adults. at 53 5400 I am running 33 mph. The 40 to me will be a little light I think. The 40 will be wide open all the time to push that boat through any type of water other than slick.

Take it from me, if it is tiller now, stay with tiller.  From the time I have in my boat's mods,  could have bought a new 18 from rob. :-)
Branch

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »

Agani thanks for the info guys!

I HAD to get the Honda as it was a great deal. I am not too worried about speed. As long as I can run mid to low 20ies with a load and upper 20ies solo. I have a Bobís 6Ē offset plate that should help a little. The whaler only cruses around 17 so anything faster is great. I will take some more pictures this weekend, I should be on the water next weekend. I will post numbers as soon as I can to see if the offset plate makes any difference as it is also lifts the motor slightly.
J
Branch

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 08:15:44 AM »

Motor is on!!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:24:44 AM by Branch » Logged
wildman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 02:22:17 PM »

I am curious as to how that 6" stand off will run.  I am thinking with that 4 stroke hanging that far back you will need to get some tabs or move some weight to the bow.  You going to run it with and without that stand off?

Another thing, get that motor up a hole if you can.  You might even be able to come up two holes.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:29:38 PM by wildman » Logged
beavis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 05:35:28 PM »

I have been running my tiller with a 5 and a half inch set back on a fixed jackplate for several years without tabs and have not had any problems.  Engine weighs 215lbs.
Capt Brennan
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »

I read somewhere that for every 6" of engine setback you can raise the cavitation plate of the engine 1 - 1 1/2 inches.  My 90 Etec is mounted on a CMC jack plate.  The bottom most hole on the engine is bolted to the upper most hole on the jack plate.  From the top edge of the jack plate to the bottom of the engine bracket "hook" there is about 3 inches of clearance, if you can visualize what I'm describing.  Looking at your photo, my engine is mounted about 3 inches higher on the jack plate, but my jack plate is mounted below the topside color on the stern (about 1 inch or so lower on the transom) and I don't have that little rise under the motor on the backside of the jack plate.  My engine cavitates when getting up on plane if the engine is all the way up.  Doesn't cavitate with the engine half way up (where I generally keep it).  In rough water when planning, I lower the engine all the way down so it gets a better bite.  Normal running it's halfway up (or down depending on your point of view).  In shallow water, at low speeds, I run the motor all the way up and for even shallower running, I trim the engine up, at that point I can ghost through 8" of water, but the skeg of the engine is barely below the bottom of the boat and I lose a little steering.  I was looking for some photos but can't find any.  The setup is a good compromise around here as a lot of the creek mouths get shoaled over and are difficult to get into when the tide is wrong, but there is deep water behind the bar in the creek.  So I raise the engine to cross and once across lower it if necessary.  When I go off shore, I lower the engine so I don't lose the prop bite if it's rough.  Kind of embarrassing though if you go to take off and the motor is all the way up.  But, it works good for me the way I have it set up.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:23:48 PM by Capt Brennan » Logged

Captain Mike Brennan
Master, 100 ton, steam, motor or auxiliary sail vessel
Branch

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 06:12:27 PM »

Wildman, the cavitation plate is about 2.5 to 3" higher than the hull bottom. I am going to start here, the Honda has 4 hole settings up. I if i can't get her to blow out I will go up another hole (this sentence could mean sooo many different things..). This boat had a 60 yamaha on a jack plate with no tabs, granted he ran it as a CC. I have a 12 gallon tank under the front casting deck so that should keep the bow down (at least when it is full). I also have plans to run a live well and storage in the center of the boat along with the battery so i think that will help. I will know after the first run!!!

Beavis - i have read all you post so i am hoping i can work around having the tabs. BTW love you boat setup! My motor weighs 213 so i should have the same results as you (except for top end).

Capt Brennan, I have run the Green 20' Panga Marine skiff on the web site and found the same results you have. (90 Etech with a jack plate). We never had the motor blow out, however I was just borrowing the boat for 2 days so I was very mellow. I found the same stats on set back, however i think with the flat running surface of a Panga we may get different results than a v-hull.

Thanks guys for all the input, hoping to be in the water this weekend.....

wildman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »

I mirror Capt. Brennan on  my atlas micro jacker - with the proper trim and jack, I can actually get the skeg up past bottom of the boat and can still pee running at a fast idle which helps me putt putt off of sand bars on a bad wind

It is a bit of an embarassment thought isn't it Capt. when you jump on it and the thing just ROARS and spits water.

Capt Brennan
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »

Sure is embarrassing almost as embarrassing as forgetting to drop lines when leaving the dock. LOL ... Hadn't done that in a long time though.

Captain Mike Brennan
Master, 100 ton, steam, motor or auxiliary sail vessel
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: