Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 05:11:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello Y'all  (Read 2841 times)
Gringo

View Profile Email
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »

Some of the old timers here might remember me.  I bought an Andros Permit 22, all tricked out, and imported it to the Turks and Caicos Islands about six years ago.  It got smashed up in Hurricane Hanna in '08.  I gave it to a good friend of ours down here, and he patched up the major holes and has been running it with an Evinrude 225 ever since. 

last week we made two trips  over to another island and back in that Andros.  Man, I had forgotten what a great hull that is.  We were doing 45 mph in about 8" of water.  I have video of that, too, by the way.  With five people in the boat.  Amazing.

I really miss that boat.  And the Eggebrechts were great people to deal with.  I'd buy another one of their boats in a heartbeat.

Then after a great day in the Andros I get home and look at this Rivolta/Mojito skiff I bought and I get pissed off every time I see it. They took a decent hull and ruined it, and then passed it off to us as a "demo" model.  Wrong.  It wasn't a demo model. It was a prototype that was terribly rigged and poorly finished, and they dumped it on me thinking it would disappear.  (Hasn't though, has it. ) I need to strip everything out of it and start over.  I WISH I had bought another Andros.   They didn't have anything that would fit in my garage on a trailer at the time.   Should have waited.

here's our old Permit 22, still going strong after three hurricanes and getting beaten almost to death.

here's some photos of what happened to the boat in 'o8:
http://2gringos.blogspot.com/2008/09/hanna-aftermath.html

The console got crushed like an eggshell, and never got fixed. It's held on with a few screws.   The leaning post came from a SeaFox that got smashed in the same storm.  I don't know where he got the bimini.....that's recent.  The front hatch is gone.  The trim tabs and jackplate haven't worked since early Sept. 08.   The gas tank in the deck was a mistake, by the way. I won't do that again.   I chose that approach, but  That needs to be accessible.  tank leaks are an issue.  But this boat is a local legend.  NOBODY tries to follow Preacher over the flats.  If your hat blows off, it's history. There's no way to slow down and go back to get it.

Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:44:31 PM »

Gringo!!

Man I hate to say it but I forgot all about you guys! I lost all of my bookmarks about a year ago and I guess then I stopped going to 2Gringos. 

Hope everyone is doing well.

Headed over to your site now so I can get my fill and catch up on Preacher, mini Sailboat races, Hurricanes, rusty Shipwrecks, Landrovers, Rust, and everything else in between.

If yall have not been to the site it is definitely worth checking out. But let me warn you... Block out some time because you will be addicted to island life fast!

Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »

And most important Dooley the demented !!

androsboatworks
President, Andros BoatWorks

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »

nice to see you on here... Made a post on our FB page about this boat... When so many other boats were destroyed. your's was picked up with a loader dropped on the rocks and is still kicking today... Another boat recently survived a storm here in FL. The boat was blown off the lift and remained floating upside-down for 3 days before a crew could come and retrieve it. She's back at the factory now getting refit. Very minimal damage!

Byron, keep a lookout for a large 70" sportfish towing a Tarpon 26. They are enroute to Turks and Caicos as we speak. I've been invited to meet them out there... Ill let you know if i can make it. Sportfish is called "Tin Man's Pride" Owner and crew are super nice people so introduce yourself and get a tour of that rig... It's amazing!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: