Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 05:11:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Mounting on Permit 22  (Read 1694 times)
charliea

View Profile Email
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:43:41 PM »

Hi, guys.  First post here, and it's a technical (more or less) question.  I recently bought a 2007 Permit 22 from the original owner, who isn't too helpful with performance info.  Long story, but he's a good guy, just doesn't know much.  Anyway, the boat has a 140 Suzuki 4-stroke mounted three holes up, which leaves the cavitation plate about an inch+ below the bottom.  The lower unit throws a whole lot of spray, so much that some of it comes into the transom well.  Trimming out minimizes it, but does not totally get rid of it.  Getting the boat in perfect trim just about eliminates it, but as soon as I change course or speed or get into sloppy seas, the problem returns.  I'm thinking the motor is way too low, and might even need a jack plate to get it high enough, but I'm sure no expert.  Any advice is appreciated.
Charlie   
Capt Brennan
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:58:45 PM »

A Jackplate wouldn't hurt.

Captain Mike Brennan
Master, 100 ton, steam, motor or auxiliary sail vessel
charliea

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 05:28:07 AM »

Understood.  Kinda big investment for a non-flats guy like myself, though.  The boat was rigged by Andros, and I've got to figure they know how to set up their own product.  Hard to believe they rig a boat so that your first chore after getting on a plane is trimming so that lower unit spray doesn't go higher than the cowling.  I was thinking maybe this is a characteristic of panga hulls, but I've never seen it mentioned on boating forums. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: