Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 08:43:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: What Does and Imemsa 25' Cost In Mexico  (Read 37972 times)
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 13, 2013, 12:35:57 PM »

I always find it interesting that people will drive to Corpus Christi to buy an Imemsa panga but will not drive another two hours to Matomoros to save real money.  I just got back from the Imemsa dealer at Puerto Juarez in Cancun and while I was there I checked on the price of a brand new Imemsa 25'.  I did notice that prices have gone up since I last priced one but they are still dirt cheap when compared to pangas in the US.  Anyone can walk in the dealership and purchase an Imemsa 25' for $62,505 Pesos or  $4,757.98 in good old US greenbacks.  Compare that to what you will have to pay in the US for the same panga and ask yourself...is it worth a 4 hour roundtrip drive to save money?  An Imemsa is an Imemsa is an Imemsa...the only thing different is what you are willing to pay.  My guess is you could use the money you saved to really spruce your new baby up...or not.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:46:53 PM by pescamexicana » Logged

Living in Panga Heaven!
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 08:21:01 PM »

Do you know if there are any hidden cost?

ie.
import fees?
Title fees?

Does boarder security say anything about crossing with an empty trailer? Or coming home with a boat? What about the declaration of purchase on your customs form?

Im really tempted to do this for the experience of the trip, just want to get all the facts before i pursue it more serious.

pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:09:32 PM »

There is no hidden cost.  You pay sales tax in Mecico, called IVA, and that is included in the $62,505 sales price.  You take your empty trailer to Matamoros, the Imemsa dealership is on the main highway to Victoria on the south side of Matamoros...about 4 miles south of the border crossing.  You give them your money and your identification and they give you a sales receipt in your name and load the panga on your trailer.  There is no customs form because you are inside the 13 mile mark.  Customs will not say anything about you entering the country with an empty trailer.  You are on the border and many americans keep boats in Mexico to fish places like La Pesca at the south end of the Laguna Madre.  When you leaving Mexico, the immigration officer may or may not ask you for the papers on the boat.  I have never been asked to produce my papers but I have been asked if the boat belonged to me and, of course, I responded yes.  They handed my passport back to me and told me to drive carefully.  It is a no brainer and it is just that easy.  Being on the border, someone in the dealership will speak English.  The panga might cost 2% more in Matamoros because the IVA tax... it's a state sales tax, is 2% higher in the state of Tamaulipas than in Quintana Roo where I live but shipping from Mexico City to Matamoros should be less so it is probably a wash.  I had no problem registering my pangas with the Texas Parks and Wildlife and received a Texas Title and boat sticker.  

As a side note, in the sales brochure obtainable in Mexico, Imemsa describes the 25' as their best selling panga and makes operational statements about it that are not made about any other panga in their lineup.  I have always told panga forum readers that I felt the 25' was the best panga built by Imemsa or any other panga builder south of the Rio Grande.  I say this and I do not own a 25'.  If they fit my business model, the 25' is all I would own.

Also, most of the posters talk about the Imemsa 22' and I have never figured that out either.  The 23' Imemsa is far superior to the 22' with respect to structural support and the purchase price difference is minimal.  I own several 23' pangas and a couple of 18' pangas.  I posted pictures on the forum of the rebuild of one 18 and one 23 maybe a year ago.  The 23 was the standard 23 you can buy today.  My 18 is a model that is no longer produced by Imemsa and, while it looks just like today's J-18 the panga I rebuilt was a special river cargo boat they made over ten years ago and it weighs 100 pounds more the the standard J-18.  The extra weight came from additional fiberglass in the bottom of the boat because river cargo boats often hit sunken logs in the river.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:48:39 PM by pescamexicana » Logged

Living in Panga Heaven!
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 08:57:30 PM »

I remember the post from last year and loved following your rebuild.

Do you know how much the 23 is?

Im ready for a road trip!!!

pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:24:21 AM »

Captain Tyler, I do not know what the current price of and Imemsa 23' is but I can check on Tuesday when I go to Puerto Juarez.  I have never purchased an Imemsa new because my intention is to gut them and let Roberto work his magic to my exact specifications.  You can order a new 23' with a floor and console installed but I would not do that.  Imemsa uses fiberglass cover plywood and I do not want any wood (except the transom) in any panga.  Also when you let them install flooring you have no idea what the underfloor plumbing looks like or how well it is assembled.  If you are interested in purchasing a 23', I would recommend buying a bare bones panga and doing the buildout yourself.  You can refer to my pictures on construction flooring.  It is easy...all you need is some cardboard to make your templates, a flat table to construct the flooring on and review my photos on how to glass them in.  I will report back on Tuesday afternoon or here is the contact info for the Imemsa dealership in Matamoros:  The IMEMSA site suggests that there is a dealer in Matamoros.  As you can see it is at Kilometer 6 which is approximately 4 miles from the border and on the federal highway to Victoria.

Sucursal Matamoros
Carretera a Cd. Victoria Km. 6 S/N, Ejido La Luz
C.P. 87394 Matamoros, Tamaulipas
Tel. y Fax: (01) (868) 824 51 16
pmamatamotores@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:32:18 AM by pescamexicana » Logged

Living in Panga Heaven!
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »

The bare bones boat is what im thinking about getting. On yours, did you use Nidacore for the floor?

pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 06:43:40 PM »

Captain tyler, Roberto makes a floor that, that in my humble opinion, is as good or superior to Nidacore flooring and the beautiful part is it is cheaper and you can do it yourself.  Refer to the pictures of my 18 and 23 rebuild and you will see how easy it is.  All you need is cardboard to make templates and a flat smooth surface to lay out the fiberglass.  The flooring in my pangas is made from 4 layers of glass, a skeletal layout of split schedule 120 PVC and another 4 layers of glass.  The only wood in my pangas is in the transom.  Using ths formula produces a floor with no sags, no soft spots, no creeks and no rot.  By installing your own flooring you can put your plumbing exactly where you want it, not where someone else thinks it needs to be.  Schedule 120 PVC is a must..nothing lighter.  In Mexico, it is called hydraulic PVC and it will withstand a lot of pressure with no flex.  I doubt that you can buy it at Home Depot but, if you ask around, I am sure you can find it.  When looking at the pictures also note that when Roberto glasses the flooring in that he rus glass about 6 incues up the side of the hull and 6 inches out on the flooring. 

Living in Panga Heaven!
fordy

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 03:40:08 PM »

So ive actually been emailing the dealer in Matamoros but they don't have any 26 with floors in stock, they seemed happy enough to order one though. That's tough since theyre likely going to want a down payment. They wanted a little over $6k for one. It seems that Matamoros is inside the free trade zone so that there aren't any import duties on items purchased.
Aussie Panga

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »

Hi,
I am in Western Australia and would like to know the best way to purchase an Imemsa Panga. I was looking at the W26BA and the W29. I would like to build a tiller steered open panga with a self draining deck. I've always loved the Mercury Big Tiller concept, and the fuel economy of these boats is important here- Gasoline is near $8.00 a gallon and diesel is more like $8.50-$9.00. Boat building here in Australia is expensive too. To build either of these here would be around $40-45K HULL ONLY.  Which of these two boats is best? I would need it shipped here (thankfully they fit in a 40' container). How would I go about this? We were in Cancun a couple of years ago on holiday, could all of this be done at the dealership in Cancun? Has anyone dealt with Mimsa boats in Yucatan? Any advice would be appreciated. It's a long way to go to buy a boat (44hrs on a plane), but they seem to be the best at it.
Thanks for your help,
Regards,
Troy Clayton,
Perth,
Western Australia.
Swampy

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 07:15:38 AM »

I've been looking into purchasing a 25 or 26 (with floor) panga in Mexico.  It looks like PMA, the distributor, may not have a location in Matomoros at all.  The address they provide is a shipping dock.  It looks to me that PMA ships the hull to the dock and you go pick it up.  That explains the month or more delays that are being quoted.  PMA does have a retail in Tampico, which is another 5 hours or so farther south. 

Has anyone actually been to Matomoros to the PMA location?
fordy

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »

Miriam Aguirre
Pma de Sinaloa, s.a de c.v(alado de la pepsi ,frente al autozone)
carretera a cd. victoria km.5
ejido Buena Vista cp.87394
H.Matamoros,tamaulipas
http://www.pmadesinaloa.com.mx/
tel:(868)824-23-79

this is the full address they gave me by email. If you use google maps you can get right down to the actual street view but I still never saw precisely where their building is. It might be inside a pink wall with the Pepsi factory. ill try to the googl street view later.
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 07:34:02 PM »

The Imemsa dealer in Matamoros is classified as a branch location.  That means they sell more products than just Imemsa pangas.  That is very common here.  For instance, the Argos Panga dealer in Cancun also sell heavy equipment.  Don't try to use US logic in Mexico ... that does not work.

Sucursal means branch in Spanish

http://pmadesinaloa.com.mx/detalle-productos.php?categoria=23

http://www.imemsa.com.mx/distribuidores.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:39:05 PM by pescamexicana » Logged

Living in Panga Heaven!
Swampy

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 10:10:20 AM »

I've corresponded with the lady in Matomoros and it is true, the cost difference is significant.  The Matomoros Branch is also easy to find on maps and looks to be very easy to get to.  They have several hulls in the Branch available for immediate purchase, just not the 26 with the floor and console.  It doesn't seem difficult at this point.  However, Beck's operation in Corpus is convenient and removes all of the unknowns.  

By the way, the U.S. Customs website indicates that the import duty on a personal boat designed for use with an outboard is only 1%.  In a boat costing only approximately $4,500, the duty is $45.  Importation duty is no impediment to purchasing the hull in Mexico.  Can't say the same about the trailer.  If you purchase the trailer in Mexico you have to comply with the rules for importation of a vehicle, which requires a form be submitted and possibly an inspection.  If you do it, get the trailer here and take it with you.  Bring papers for your car and the trailer.  And buy Mexico one-day auto liability insurance.

Right now I'm just mulling it over.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:16:25 AM by Swampy » Logged
Swampy

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 04:52:41 PM »

This discussion has got me looking into the substance of what it really takes to go to Mexico to purchase a hull.  What I am learning is that there are potential problems which have to be overcome with careful planning.  I wouldn't recommend anyone just drive down there with a pocket full of cash.  What I've concluded is that it can be done if you take the time to learn about importation rules.  But then again, I fix my own appliances and work on my own boat and car.  When I pull it off, I will say more.

Also, let me put in a word for Richard Beck.  While I won't likely use his services, if I had a clear idea of how much study time would be involved, I might have opted to pay the premium.  Paying Richard a couple thousand dollars saves you a couple thousand dollars in time and effort.

Anyway, I'm determined to do it myself.
Walt
Blue Star Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 05:16:34 AM »

I hope you do it yourself, and I hope you share what you learn. Maybe you can get Pescamexicana to assist you for a fee?

I personally would drive to the factory to save the extra money.

You should be aware that the 26' your looking @ with the floor and console has wood components in it. The transom has wood in it, but I wouldn't be afraid of that. The floor has wood in it, and that's something to be concerned about. Every time you drill a hole to mount leaning posts, T-top, coolers, or whatever, you'll be potentially compromising the wood by exposing it to water seeping in and causing rot. Water always seems to find a way. There's a reason why American boat builders have gotten away from using wood. If I ever do try to bring a boat over, I am going to put the floor in myself, or pay someone to do it.

The other problem I have seen with importing is when you go to register the boat. Some states seem to be easier (Texas), some states aren't  so easy (Florida).  Florida requires some extra documentation, specifically regarding the VIN # that the Mexican manufacturer provides.  It's something that you may want to look into if your not in Texas.

Good luck
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: