Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 06:11:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transom ideas  (Read 3474 times)
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:39:57 AM »

I finally pulled the diesel out at decided to go with twin Etec 90 high output models.  Hopefully this will be a fairly reliable and efficient rig. I know some of you guys did this before and I would like your input and some pictures of how you finished the area where the old diesel was mounted.  I am also thinking of filling in the hole and installing the Armstrong bracket myself, could you guys give me some tips and ideas on how to go about this so that I have a strong trouble free transom. The 90HO are kinda heavy (405lbs) for their size but I really don't want to go with twin 115's financially.  I believe the 90HO is just a de-tuned 115 standard model because the displacement is the same but it has a heavy duty gear case....I could be wrong.

I look forward to your guys input.

CHASIN' HOO
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 06:57:57 PM »

when my buddy and I did his diesel removal we filled the hole and added the armstrong bracket. It is definitely the way to go, and now i believe you can get them with added floatation in the bracket. Which would not be a bad idea at all.

He went with singe suzuki 175 and is getting better performance than I did with a 200 optimax.  The twin 90's will be sweet and give you that added bit of insurance of having twins.

Take lots of pics and keep us posted!

Coconut Sunrise
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 06:29:40 PM »

Bird

I would also consider Stainless Marine Bracket, they are the ones who have made the brackets for Angler and have All the angles
and all the design for that hull,  they make Twin or single Models,  Be careful on total wt you hang on the stern as the added bracket pushes the center of balance stern and you dont want Wet Feet !

Stainless marine is in Miami Fl and Knows angler Pangas well

And Now that ANGLER is now out of business might want to get in touch with Stainless Marine 

My Bracket is the one for 30 inch motors Keeping the engines up out of the water

coconut in the Keys
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 07:10:10 AM »

I got a quote back from Armstrong and they also designed it with added floatation for the extra weight of the engines but it's kinda pricey...$3900. My original plan was to go with the Etec 200HO with a porta bracket, so it looks like I might go with that idea after thinking about the wet feet. I don't want to spend all this money and it turns out to be a nightmare!

Coconut, how much did your bracket run you? What motor do you have on and how is the performance and fuel burn?

Capt Tyler, how does your boat run with the 175 performance and fuel burn wise?

CHASIN' HOO
Coconut Sunrise
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »

Bird

My bracket was 2200.00 and I have a 4 stroke 225 yama Merc   No wet feet !  and My Motor weight  is at 575 pounds

I love the Dive access that the Bracket give us here in the keys  If Boarding from the water is a Concern the Stainless Bracket is the one to go with IMHO......Stainless Marine bracket Has a   Foldout Boarding ladder and Optional handles  Stainless also has Built in Flotation I believe  Along with the correct Angle of the Transom  for the Angler Panga.

As far as fuel burn My 05 yamamerc does not support software that allows fuel burn calculations....I could put a Flow meter on the fuel line However since engine Has a primary and Secondary Fuel Pump the Maker of Flow Scan Says that it would not be Accurate.
I know getting that engine in Clean Water made it Run nicer then Bolted up to Transom.

Coconut
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 09:36:51 PM »

Hey Coconut, can you send me some pictures of your boat and how the stern setup looks?

Another thing, how do you feel the reliability is with the one motor?

CHASIN' HOO
snook321
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 10:24:09 AM »

Just my opinion on two outboards. Rarely ever is the problem a mechanical issue with a new motor. Most of the time its fuel or battery related. Two motors aren't going to help if thats the case. Unless you have separate fuel tanks. With dead batteries it doesn't matter how many motors you have. 
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 02:07:18 PM »

Same thing keeps playing though my mind. I think I've decided to go with the single 225HO ETEC, twice as less on maintenance as well.  Its rare that I will go any further than 15-20 miles offshore but breaking down any any distance in crappy weather can be scary.  Hopefully with the reliability of the newer outboards I should be fine.

I would still like some ideas on how to finish the deck where the old motor was. Pictures, ideas anyone?

CHASIN' HOO
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: