Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 12:58:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: "Chasin Hoo" re power - build thread  (Read 11481 times)
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« on: March 31, 2014, 05:10:05 AM »

Hey guys, I thought I would share some pictures and info as I re power my Panga.  For those of you that don't know I had the 120Hp Mercruiser that crapped out on me.  I decided to go with a 30" Stainless Marine bracket and a Yamaha F225 3.3L.

So far I have the transom hole filled in and a couple layers of the heavy fiberglass mat on the inside, as well as some knees made from 3/4" Coosa to strengthen up the stern.  There is just some finish work left and then to gel coat.  The engine and bracket have been ordered and should be on island in a couple of weeks.

I am also rearranging the GPS and where the gauges will be installed on the console just for ease of viewing.  I'm also thinking of purchasing a Furuno FCV587 depth sounder.

I'll continue to update once I start making some more progress.

Oh, I've also re named the boat: It was "Bird Chaser" now it's "Chasin Hoo".  Here's a little story on that....The guy I bought the boat from is a very close friend of mine so when I bought the boat I told him I was keeping the name.  Well since that he bought a new boat and named it "Still Chasing".  Anyway a few years go by and now my boat is broken down so he asked if he could have the name back.  I said sure why not, when I re power I'm going to rename it anyways. So now he has the name Bird Chaser back again.  So the reason I named my boat "Chasin Hoo" is because its like who's chasin who now? I also do a lot of high speeding for wahoo as well.   Grin

Gel coat this afternoon.

Bracket installed and waiting for the motor.

A few more additions while waiting on the motor.

Getting rigged now. Should be testing today  Grin

Let the fun begin!!

Got her home after taking delivery!  Grin

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:55:44 AM by Chasin' Hoo » Logged

CHASIN' HOO
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 06:08:28 AM »

Good Looking glass work!

What did you make the plug out of to fill the void of the transom?

Good call on adding gusset plates, that will be needed for sure with that 225 hanging 30 inches or so off the transom.

what are your plans for motor box?  I had a wild idea when we did my buddys conversion that we should have reinforced it and mounted a fighting chair on top! Didnt happen but it would have definitely made things fun!

Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:48:43 AM »

Thanks Capt. The guy that's doing the work is really good.

The plug was made from a composite material made by Coosa. Here's the link if you want to check it out http://www.coosacomposites.com

Yeah I wanted to add those supports for a peace of mind. I'm wondering if I should install some trim tabs with the added weight as well. I can probably wait to see how she handles without them and always add them after.

As for the engine cowl I'm not sure on how I plan on doing it yet. A buddy of mine turned it into full bench seat and I'm starting to like it. What ever I do, I still want to be able to access the bilge area where my transducer and water pickup is mounted.

Here's the picture of my buddies boat.

CHASIN' HOO
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »

The full bench would definitely be cool.

On my buddys boat we essentially inverted the hatch so that it created a place to put a cooler and still tilt forward to access everything underneath.

Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »

I think I remember you telling me that. Do you have any pictures on how it came out?

CHASIN' HOO
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 05:33:39 PM »

i'll see if i can find some

Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 05:47:06 PM »

I cant find any installed but we literally cut up the old hatch and inverted it.

Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »

That's a really cool idea and came out very good.

Here's another one that I found floating around

I can't decide which I like better and which one would function better. I think the bench seat would be nice for the wife and kids on the long ride back in but I think the other would function better when fighting fish. What are your thoughts?

CHASIN' HOO
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 08:12:08 PM »

Did some more work this evening.

CHASIN' HOO
spyguy

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 08:30:36 AM »

Definitely going to need the trim tabs! I have a 225 Mercaha on a bracket so I speak from experience.
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 08:43:04 AM »

I like the closed transom with the space idea. Thats is very similar to how my boat was laid out and it was great because i could put a pretty good size cooler in the space between the seats.

Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 08:59:31 AM »

Trim tabs for sure. I dont know what i would have done without mine.

How do you like working with that Coosa board?
Gussets look real good

snook321
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »

Great job on the fiberglass work. I like the the pic you posted with more room. You could always throw down a bean bag or two in the boat for the wife and kids. Super comfortable and best off removable. When not in use you can bungee the bean bags on the t-top to get them out of the way while fishing.
Chasin' Hoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 07:28:50 PM »

I think I like the open transom as well. I forgot I had a big bean bag, the wife and kids will just have to use that. Lol. I will have to tie in another floor drain and leave an access hatch for my washdown pump and transducer.

I've been looking at tabs and according to Bennett I should go with a 24"x9" but with limited space I'll probably go with the 18"x12". What are you guys running? Once trimmed out properly do you notice any improvement in efficiency?

The coosa is real easy to work with. Very light too, when you lift it, you say to yourself....is this stuff really strong? Yes it is. My gussets feel like steel.....rock solid!

Here another picture after I cleaned it out today. Ready for gel coat this week  Smiley

CHASIN' HOO
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 01:03:34 PM »

I had Lenco electric tabs on mine and they worked real well. Not sure of the size though..

As for efficiency, I wouldnt say they improve it and they might hinder it if your thinking fuel. But I know one thing when it got choppy out and I was in a head sea I would not trade them for the world! Ive always said a boat is only as good as its trim tabs. When it got rough i would tab down and the nose of the panga would become glued to the water. Almost acted like a displacement hull. Once you install them you will wonder how you ever lived without them. They are also great for unequal load distribution port and starboard.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: