Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 12:58:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: NO Response  (Read 25519 times)
Redfish74

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2014, 05:37:23 AM »

Talked to Mojito over 3 weeks ago about their 23 footer. Said they would get me info on the way. Still have not seen a thing. Don't remember who I talked to. Boat sales must be good. Anybody else have this problem with them?
Walt
Blue Star Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:26:50 AM »

I don't want to weigh in on a product (Mojito Boats) that I don't really know a lot about, but I would be concerned about any builder that doesn't follow through with a sales lead.  If they aren't going to follow through with a sales lead, how are they going to deal with a warranty issue?

We don't see much activity on this forum from the "Mojito" builder, or their customers.  From what I've seen, they seem to be reaching out to a higher end customer, and are marketing a very cool looking boat. The "Mojito", as well as most of the domestically built boats marketed as "panga type" boats are reaching to include their products in the Panga Genre, but then we wouldn't have much to talk about if we didn't include them in this forum  Grin

From what I've seen as a price point for the "Mojito", I would be looking at other builders in that price point, both inside and outside the Panga Genre. I'm kind of biased, and would talk to both Panga Marine and Andros, between them they have hundreds of satisfied customers, as well as over 10 years experience building these boats.

Good luck with your boat quest!  If you do end up getting a Mojito or another "Panga Type", please hang out here and contribute to this forum.

Walt
piscatus

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 01:17:20 PM »

I cant put my finger on why but I just do not like the Mojito's... And they certainly aint a Panga in my book...
gobreeze

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 05:25:58 PM »

Concur...not a Panga, but a gimmick.
Redfish74

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »

Figures, the one I like the looks of mostly because of a little wider beam. I will be in the market very soon for a bay boat, at least 23ft. I kinda like the looks of the panga. I have not rode in one yet. I need a boat that will take in the chesapeake bay through some snotty waters at times to get to some Islands I like to fish that has some very skinny waters to get to good fishing. I don't even know if a panga will be right for me.
piscatus

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:04:36 PM »

I have nightmares about going out in snotty water on a flash bay boat.  Panga all the way! Dont let the narrow beam scare you off!
Walt
Blue Star Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 03:51:03 AM »

I kinda like the looks of the panga. I have not rode in one yet. I need a boat that will take in the chesapeake bay through some snotty waters at times to get to some Islands I like to fish that has some very skinny waters to get to good fishing. I don't even know if a panga will be right for me.

Sounds like you need to go on a sea-trial.  You need to head down to Sarasota for a couple days of Pangalogical enlightenment.  Andros Boatworks, Mojito Boats, and Panga Marine are all located within 1/2 mile of each other (3 miles from SRQ airport).  Sea trial boats from all 3 builders that fall within your budget. You get to meet the boats, you get to meet the makers, you get to decide for yourself.  Try before you buy!

I wouldn't be afraid of the Mojito, I think they are offering up a very sexy variant of a panga type boat. It would be cool to go for a head to head test between it and the others.  I only wish I had the kind of budget that included a Mojito, or Andros Cuda  Grin
gobreeze

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 05:11:40 PM »

Red,

May I recommend visiting a Panga meet up.  We have one scheduled for Veteran's day weekend (See Sand Bar Thread).  If we are successful there will be several owners there to take you for a ride and talk Pangas.  You could then drive north to Sarasota with some ideas to talk to Panga Marine and Andros about before pulling the trigger.
V/r
go
Redfish74

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 05:17:08 PM »

It not the narrow beam, Its how light the boat is. And I am along way from from the sunshine state. There is a dealer near DC, I am hoping to catch a ride there. And I want one with higher free board, Grand kids.
gobreeze

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 06:15:50 PM »

Red,

Understand your concerns about freeboard.  If you're down this way (South Florida), give me a shout and I'll take you for a ride. 

go
Redfish74

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 07:12:46 PM »

Go, Thanks for the invite. I fish some snotty water or have to cross snot to get to my spots. As I get a little older i would like a better ride. I have a skiff now and it hits hard and some time I think I need to put a diver flag out. Lips sealed
Walt
Blue Star Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 04:27:03 AM »

It not the narrow beam, Its how light the boat is. And I am along way from from the sunshine state. There is a dealer near DC, I am hoping to catch a ride there. And I want one with higher free board, Grand kids.

Both the Mojito and Cuda (http://androsboats.com/index.php/boat-models/cuda-23/) boast the 8' beam and higher freeboard. For the money your talking about spending, a trip to Sarasota is a legitimate investment.

The lighter weight narrower beam hulls (Panga Types) excel in a chop, even a snotty chop. They get up on top and drive right over it. You also have superior shallow water capabilities and are very fuel efficient. Your heavier deeper V hulls tend dob and plow through rougher water, and blast huge walls of water up into the wind that soak the inhabitants. You don't have shallow water capabilities and they aren't as efficient.

You need a Sea-Trial, you won't be disappointed!
charliea

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 01:26:11 PM »

I just noticed this thread.  May as well weigh-in.  I'm running an Andros Permit 22, which they don't list on their website but would be happy to build for you.  It has the narrower beam, but lots of freeboard.  I dive lobsters commercially, and go out in most weather, including some really unpleasant stuff.  I've had it out in 25kt against the tide, with 3-4ft confused chop, no problems.  It replaced my old 25 Robalo, and my wife swears the Panga rides better (and a lot drier).  The secret is to slow down, and get the bow down.  The Panga, with the tabs down, will plane at 12kts into most anything, while we sit on the leaning post in rock solid comfort.  You've got to try it to believe it.  Very low fuel consumption.  Runs in very little water.  Doesn't seem to have much storage, but I keep two 200' breathing hoses,  6 life jackets, anchor & tackle, nets, bags and stuff stored in the enormous fore peak locker.  No sweat.  The boat, like any, isn't for everybody, but if you need freeboard and rough water capability a Permit is hard to beat.
Redfish74

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 02:41:43 AM »

Thanks for all the info. I am trying to find at least a 22 up here to catch a ride in. I am looking at ALL types of bay boats. Don't know what I want for sure. Just like anyone eles put them all in a bag shake them up and pulling out all the good into one boat.
Gringo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 07:05:12 AM »

Talked to Mojito over 3 weeks ago about their 23 footer. Said they would get me info on the way. Still have not seen a thing. Don't remember who I talked to. Boat sales must be good. Anybody else have this problem with them?

I was just getting my Mojito/Rivolta/XO skiff ready to try to sell, and   just going through this boat got me so PO'd that I was driven to come visit this forum just to check in.    I was pretty active in Pangas some years back.  I had followed the Tortuga hull design for a while, and then after Andros bought it,  I bought a new 22' Andros Permit.  It's a very interesting and effective design.  I absolutely loved that boat.  I've been in a lot of boats, and the Permit 22 was my favorite for these waters.  And I've owned two Boston Whalers and a Contender down here too.  I know what I'm talking about.  All my dealings with the Andros' Eggebrecht family were as good as I've ever seen.  Great company. Great boat.  Great support.  And I did use some support.

Well, I also bought a Mojito XO 18 skiff.  And the experience sucked, and continues to suck.    Those guys sold me a piece of crap boat, badly rigged, and I suspect they dumped it on me to get it off their hands somewhere they thought it would disappear.  Lets face it, I'm not going to return it.  And I'm remote.  

The widened "panga" hull is not horrible.  It rides like a cross between a full on narrow panga and something like a Whaler Dauntless, with a beamy ride.   I think the hull has possibilities.  But my impression is that whomever designed that hull had nothing to do with rigging it.  It's been a nightmare.  And they didn't want to hear about it when I asked them what the heck they had sold me.  Nope.  Big silence over the years, except for one brief exchange in which their sales-mouth-du-jour tried to tell me they sold me a prototype and I knew it.  This is past complete Bull Shirt.    I think he wanted to sound threatening to me, or something, but what he doesn't understand is that I would LOVE to get this boat in front of a judge.    PLEASE, Mojito, SUE me for libel if I say anything untrue.
Like, today I am replacing the cheap hardware store, home quality, non marine, non shrink tubed crimp connections you put onto the jack plate fuse holder wiring, and left lying in the bottom of the boat where it's constantly hidden, and wet.   The fuse connections corroded away, with bare copper wire exposed to sea water. Duh.  Some experts.  you know, the boat that has no way to drain the water that gets into the hull?  Want me to start posting photos?

Anyhow, my personal experience, for what it's worth to you, is that the Mojito people definitely cheated me. They knowingly  sold me an inferior boat.  They told me it was a special price for their "Demo" boat.  It wasn't a demo boat.  It was a badly rigged prototype that a customer should never have even seen.  They misled me, and did nothing to offer to support me.  I also contacted the jackplate people and they basically just tried to sell me some wedges to fix one issue.

WHY would you buy a boat from these guys?

My hard won experience says to go with Andros or Panga Marine.   Good people, good boats.

by the way, the TCI local friend who I gave my storm battered  panga hull to is still running that Andros down here.  It's basically the stripped down hull and a honking big Evinrude, and he's famous for the way he takes it through a foot of water at about 40 mph riding on one cheek.  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:26:40 AM by Gringo » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: