Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 05:11:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterlogged 1998 Argos 25  (Read 15839 times)
Rusty Solomon

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2015, 07:38:07 AM »

I recently bought a used 1998 Argos 25 and later discovered some small cracks in the deck glass. I drilled some 1" holes
through the glass and plywood and found the foam is wet. The plywood is still in good shape. Question. Did Argos
use marine grade lumber and plywood for stringers and decking?  Or the cheap stuff we all buy at the lumber store?
I don't really want to tear out the deck and replace the insides as I am getting old and will probably only be boating for another
10 years. Is there some sort of chemical I could inject under the floor to keep the salt water that's in there from causing
a rotting problem?
Hope you can help.
Thanks
Rusty
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:15:03 AM by Rusty Solomon » Logged
Walt
Blue Star Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »

Andros Boatworks didn't start making boats till 2004-05.  Do you know who the manufacturer is?
Rusty Solomon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:13:39 AM »

Hi,
And my apologies. This is an Argos. Date of manufacture 8/98.
R
pescamexicana

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 04:09:35 PM »

Rusty, my very first panga was an Argos 17 purchased in Villahermosa, Mexico.  I had gone to Cancun to purchase an Imemsa 18 but the dealer in Cancun would not honor the price stated in her email 3 days prior.  In hind sight, I should have paid the extra money.  Argos pangas are built by www.nauticacontinental.com/#!lanchas and most are sold by Maquinter Equipment Company in Mexico.  They are a very low end poor quality platform.  I trailered the panga back to Texas, got it registered, put a 30hp Evinrude on it and within 4 months started developing stress cracks from stem to stern.  I was lucky enough to find a buyer and rid myself of the problem.  When I moved to Mexico, I discussed Argos pangas with Roberto, my boat builder.  I will not put in print what he said about the Argos line of pangas but I simply laugh when I see them.  There is a dealer in Cancun that attempts to sell them but the only buyers are Mexicans that cannot afford an Imemsa.  They all have fibreglas and resin issues but I understand that they make really nice planters for your wife's flowers.  BUYER BE WARE AND DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON REPAIRS.  You will never have a platform that you will be proud of.  As always, this is my humble opinion.  Tom
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:12:26 PM by pescamexicana » Logged

Living in Panga Heaven!
Rusty Solomon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 05:19:22 PM »

Thanks for the warning. I will proceed with caution even though this boat has no cracks anywhere in the glass
except where someone cracked the floor by dropping something heavy on it.
Rusty Solomon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:59:29 PM »

I really appreciate Tom's reply and his opinion about Argos boats.
I would really appreciate any other information either positive or negative relative
to this issue or Argos boats in general.
Thanks
Rusty
Walt
Blue Star Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 03:30:26 AM »

I can't help you specifically with an Argos, but I have dealt with submerged boats.  Are you sure it's salt water below deck?  A boat sitting on a trailer can collect rainwater and experience similar damage.

How is the boat rigged?  Internal fuel cell?  Center console?  Motor?  Is it on a trailer?  Is the boat operational?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 03:44:46 AM by Walt » Logged
Rusty Solomon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 06:54:00 AM »

This boat came from south Texas and was used primarily in the salt. The water in the hull is probably
a mix of rain and sea as it has only a hint of salt when tasted.The boat has a stand up center console and T-top.
The fuel tank is not internal and is easily removed. The foam layer is about 6 inches thick 5 feet forward of the transom.
A Tohatsu 115 (2010 model) seems to run fine and the trailer is in good shape. I have some minor wiring to do to
have legal lighting. Using a shop vac I have sucked air through the wet foam between two holes three feet apart and have gotten
some water out (not much).
Any hints or ideas you have will be appreciated.
Thanks
R
Walt
Blue Star Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 08:05:39 AM »

I would open every hatch available on the deck, and pump air into the sub floor cavity with a blower. I would do this continually for a week or so. If you have any hardware under the floor (through hulls), you'll want to inspect hose clamps etc. I would also start storing the boat with the hatches open to allow as much ventilation as possible down the road.

As mentioned by "Tom", the boat may not be worth investing a lot of money into, but If it's running, you might as well get some hours out of it. The problems will develop down the road as wood starts to rot. The T-Top could be the 1st victim, the stress points where it is mounted to the floor could fail. You'll want to pay attention to the T-top for any play, you don't want to have it collapse on you as you hit a large wave. You will eventually start noticing some spongy spots in the floor. It's really hard to say, maybe you'll get 5-10 years out of it, maybe less. You can decide at that point if it's a problem you want to fix correctly.

You can also ask this question on this forum: http://www.thehulltruth.com  You need to have some thick skin on this forum, but there may be some info and tricks available for the foam issue.  I doubt there's enough foam in your boat to be a major issue, but I'm not familiar with this boat.

Good luck with this, I hope it works out for you.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:15:17 AM by Walt » Logged
Rusty Solomon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 09:11:08 AM »

There are no thru hull fittings or hatches (compartments), just a smooth floor. Will drill some
more  holes in the floor and put a blower on it for a couple weeks. Will also check out thehulltruth.com
and see what I can learn there.
Thanks,
R
Bill Hale

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 04:51:06 PM »

Why not just open the deck and remove all of the old foam.  Inspect all of the internal stuff and replace if required.
Re deck make holes in the deck and put in new closed cell foam.  Glass the holes and on your way. 
All depends on how much work you want to do and how cheap you can get the boat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: