Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 05:16:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 reports in 1  (Read 2951 times)
beavis

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2015, 06:16:04 AM »

Took the kids down the beach hoping to find some bonita schools for something to pull on the rods last week.  Down the beach was a little slow, there were a few bonita schools here and there. Nothing really major or consistent.  Time for alternate plan B. Headed out to a small public reef that I have numbers in for in the GPS.  Most times there is usually something around it that will pull.  As soon as we shut the engine off, there were what looked like big grey angelfish swimming up near the surface, and then a school of big jacks swam under the boat. When I say big jacks, these were in the 30-40 inch range.

Started casting a gotcha plug and hooked up to something pulling hard. First kid up.  Drag screamed for a bit and as well as kid 1 one whining about the fish being strong. Pulled about half the spool out and started making some progress when it broke off. 

I have been having a lot of fun using big popping lures on big spinning setups. I have had success with kings doing this and getting the big jacks chasing it like crazy. And of course, it is fun to watch.   I work these things several different ways.  So had this thing out there and had fish chasing and banging it.  Stopped it for a second and then jerked it. Bang! Something took with a big splash and kid number 2 is now fighting something that is pulling pretty hard.  Fought it for a few minutes with kid 2 grunting and groaning and it broke off.

Also employed another strategy where I would use a big popper and get the fish excited and close and then throw out a bucktail jig.  I had kings swimming up to boat and just hanging around for a minute looking to see what was going on.  A few big ones too.  Ended up with a rod singing from doing this and back to kid 1.  Ended up being about a 25 kingfish that self released right at the boat with the leader in my hand.  Success.

Set up on another drift over the area.  As I am casting, the kids both start yelling about a huge fish they just saw jump about 7 feet out of the water chasing another fish. I just saw the hole in the water that the fish left and it was pretty big.  Trying to interrogate the kids as to what the fish looked like was not very successful. But I was doing this as I was casting another large popper into the area. It is nice when you can cast these things 60-80 yards.  On the second cast to the area, a huge explosion and my reel screaming.  I am thinking a big king. Kid 2s turn on the rod again. This one was taking some line.  Battled it for about 10 minutes before it broke off. Kids were all excited and had fun so it was a good day.

=====================================================================================

Fast forward a week later to the Monday after Fathers day.  Tried the same scenario down the beach and ended up going back out to the reef again.  It ended up being a slower start than last week.  This time I brought some ballyhoo to chunk hoping it might coax a few more fish on to the hook.

Was popping for a while with only and occasional chase.  Kids were getting antsy and lazy.  Finally had something crash the lure.  Kids woke up real quick then. Kid 1 on the rod.  It was a big barracuda that was head shaking across the surface.  Broke the line right as it was near the boat.  Ok, enthusiasm restored.

Tied on another popper and 3 casts later, another fish on. This one was not fighting as hard as some of the others, but it was still pulling. Kid 2 on the rod.  Landed a smaller bonita, quick photo, and off it went to grow larger.  For once I was hooking fish and not losing lures.

Kept on casting and a few minutes later, another hit on  the popper. Kid 1 back on the rod and not groaning but this time filled with grunt and enthusiasm.

After a short fight the king fish was netted, hook removed, and released.  The kids got a quick lesson on the razor teeth of the king while he was subdued.  He was about 30 long.  That is a big net he is in.

At the same time I was casting, I had one of the kids jigging a butterfly jig with a ballyhoo hooked it.  Kid 2 hooked a small shark while doing this that self released about 10 feet down.

When we were moving to get back into position for another drift I would drag a plug while getting back into position.  This worked one time and kid 1 had her second king fish of the day.  A smaller one that was probably only about 18.  Released to grow some more.

Kid 2 was jigging some more and his rod started pulling back.  Landed about a 4 foot shark and let the kids see its eye protection and touch the skin.  Basically a short marine biology class.

Ok, now here was my excitement for the day and then the kids once I pointed it out..  This reef is only about 6 miles off the beach.  I had cast the popper out and was working it back in.  I am always looking around the boat just because stuff swims  up to it.  He comes this slender missile looking fish  swimming next to the boat. At first, I thought it was a barracuda.  Holy *(^)&%^, that is a sailfish. Screamed at the kids to look because it was literally 3-4 feet off the boat and maybe a foot under the surface. They were able to see it with it being so close.  I watched it swim off the back trying not to lose sight of it. I reeled my popper in as fast as I could and cast it back towards him.  As I worked the popper, I saw him follow it all the way back to the boat, but he did not get excited enough to take a whack at it.  Also, during this trip, I had 2 mahi swim right under the boat. They were smaller and all lit up with their bluish green bodies and bright yellow tails.  They went deep under the boat and never saw them again, despite dropping a bunch of chunked ballyhoo for them. Could not believe it because this location  is not known for it.

Swampy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 07:23:04 AM »

Great report and wonderful pictures.  Thanks for that.
reyrey

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 08:16:11 AM »

WTG!  Where was this out of?
beavis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 10:48:33 AM »

Hey reyrey,

This is out of Ponce Inlet just south of Daytona.
reyrey

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 10:54:45 AM »

Thanks.
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 06:58:59 PM »

Man Beavis !! what a trip !

You always restore my passion for fishing. Need to get down that way pronto!!

Capt Brennan
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 07:59:17 PM »

Beavis ... You live around Ponce?  I've been launching at Dunlawton a lot lately.

Captain Mike Brennan
Master, 100 ton, steam, motor or auxiliary sail vessel
beavis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 05:15:07 AM »

Yes, I do. I live south and launch right near my house.  Takes me about 50 minutes to get out through the inlet.  All the manatee zones going through New Smyrna   Angry Angry Angry.
Capt Brennan
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 06:25:52 AM »

Maybe we'll see you out there sometime.

Captain Mike Brennan
Master, 100 ton, steam, motor or auxiliary sail vessel
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: