Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 05:15:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hernando Beach Scalloping  (Read 4019 times)
Capt Brennan
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« on: July 01, 2015, 10:34:59 AM »

Sorry, no photos, but I went out scalloping out of Hernando Beach last Saturday and Sunday.  Had a good time, but between the three of us (actually only two, the wife decided to stay on the boat) we only got about a gallons worth of scallops.  Was it worth it? Nope, the effort only yielded about a cup of scallop meat.  Was it fun? Sure, I always enjoy a couple of days of adventure on the water. Will I do it again? Sure, more as a social event, unless I had some hard core individuals with me who were bound and determined to limit out. Did make it all the way up to Homassassa and explored the waterfront, saw at least half dozen, or more, Pangas from various manufacturers. Primarily Panga Marine boats, most I've ever seen on a trip, guess they are getting popular.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:42:59 AM by Capt Brennan » Logged

Captain Mike Brennan
Master, 100 ton, steam, motor or auxiliary sail vessel
avitucci
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »

great post.  we were planning a trip and were wondering if the scalloping was productive.
trip

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:53:27 AM »

Thanks for the report.  I too feel its not worth going after scallops but I enjoy being on the water.  Some friends and I will be staying at Tarpon Key Lodge in Aug. to go scalloping and do a little fishing.  Have a friend that has gone out of Homossassa several times but didn't get much.
Capt Brennan
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 08:41:38 PM »

Well if anyone goes, I found them about halfway between Hernando Beach and Homassassa in about 6-7 feet of water (high tide) (charts read low water, remember and there is a foot or two of tide).  I found high tide best, though deeper, water is clearer and there were lots of boats out there.  Good luck to all that go.

Captain Mike Brennan
Master, 100 ton, steam, motor or auxiliary sail vessel
Gatorguy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 11:03:45 AM »

Capt. Brennan,

We stayed out at the Homosassa Riverside Resort opening weekend. I've never scalloped before and we had another couple go with us. We had less than optimal results as well but had a blast. I didn't see too many Pangas out there but did see a nice 22 across the river from the resort.

Dan - aka Gatorguy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: