Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 06:02:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 26 Imensa repowered with 200hp  (Read 6396 times)
Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« on: October 28, 2015, 07:43:02 AM »

Hello everyone.

I was lucky enough to purchase the Bemm Boatworks 26' based off a 26 low side Imensa.  The photos of the original boat with a 140 hp Suzuki are in another post.  I live in South Texas so I had the privilege of test driving several Pangas and designs.  I have driven Richard Beck's personal 26 with a 150 hp Yamaha and it went 46-47 mph with a mild 3 blade offshore prop.  It was very impressive.  
I have also driven a Panga Marine 22' non liner with a 175hp Suzuki which got 49 mph with a three blade but my buddy switched to a four blade at 46 mph for best overall performance.  I have driven a 22 Andros as well with a 150 hp etec and a T-top that got 47 mph with a three blade.  I have lots of experience on a 26 Andros with a 300 hp Suzuki that got 51 mph with a three blade prop.  I think that boat should have had a four blade as well.  I do a lot of flats fishing and some offshore so hole shot is a important to me.  Our offshore waters here in Texas are very choppy with tightly spaced swells so it is very important to stay on plane at slow speeds.  All of the above numbers were with at least two people on board and a normal load.

My choice of motor after talking to Bemm Boatworks about the strength of the transom was the 200HO big block etec.  The transom of my boat was raised about 2 inches over the original Imensa design.  I am using a 20" shaft motor so I had to mount the motor low on the jack plate.  The previous motor was a 25" shaft.  150 hp is more than enough for this boat design if you want a good combination of efficiency and power.  You can put a 115hp on it with no problems and probably will not even need trim tabs.  Trim tabs are mandatory for 150 hp plus to handle the weight.  The trim tabs can keep you much drier in a cross sea because you can raise one side of the boat.

Rooney (previous owner) had very precisely mounted a double battery system in this boat with one battery in each back hatch.  The increased weight of my motor choice forced me to move the batteries.  I ran a 2 gauge cable to the bow and put two new gel cell batteries.  I put the Perko in the bow as well so I only had to run one cable.  That 2 gauge cable is heavy and expensive.  The boat balances quite nice now.  I can take off in 18" of water on hard bottom sand.  14" launch in the mud!!  I can idle in 16" of water without touching the bottom while jack plate is on 6".  I drive very aggressively in the flats.  The boat will run in 12" of water with good water pressure for extended periods with a combination of jack plate on 3 and lots of trim tab.  It will go through 10" of water for short periods like jumping a sand bar if raise the jack plate a little more.  I did add the flared water intakes from Evinrude to increase water pressure.  The flared intakes robbed about 1 mph of top speed but made me 3 inches shallower with good water pressure.  I have been experimenting for about a year with this machine.  I have noticed that the boat leans to left with any speed over 45 mph so it can be interesting.  I have seen this issue with all the 26 Imensas.  It is not bad if you have trim tabs.

This is the most interesting and fun boat I have ever had.  I am amazed how it can outperform other big bay boats/small offshore boats when things get a little nasty.  I get plenty of stares.  The game wardens pull me over regularly because of my proximity to Mexico.  I even had a Coast Guard helicopter follow me way to close while offshore.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:25:17 AM by Pirate Ship » Logged
Baccala

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 08:31:26 AM »

Post some pics of the new set up. Great detailed report and you are correct about it being the most interesting and fun boat. I am right there with ya.
Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:39:25 AM »

I have some more performance numbers.  This boat is set up for the flats.  I am using the flared water intakes to increase water pressure when jack plate is elevated but it robs a full mph off top speed.  I am getting 6000 rpms at 50.5 mph with a light load which is all my normal gear with two big men and a half tank of gas.  I am getting 5800 rpms at 48 mph with a heavy load which includes 4 big men, 44 gallons of gas, 30 gallons of bait, 120 pounds of ice, 2 cases of beverages, food, tackle, offshore rods, and anything else you could imagine putting on a boat.

One of the most amazing things this boat does is staying on plane at slow speeds.  I can hold 12-13 mph at 2200 rpms in very very sloppy 3 foot seas(6 foot crest to trough).  I can get it even slower in the flats playing with the trim tabs.  My 3000 rpm cruise is 24-25 mph depending on seas and load.  My 4000 rpm cruise is 31-32 mph depending on load and seas.

I am averaging 3.2 mpg on my bay trips for a 100 mile round trip.  I got 3.5 mpg on a offshore trip that was 45 miles out with three hours of trolling and then coming back so a little over 110 miles.  The trolling really helps the gas mileage.  My trolling is 7 mpg.

I am going to try a large diameter 19 pitch prop next.  My current prop has too much tip cup which I am told is for bow lift.  Pangas do not need bow lift so I think it will get another 2 mph of top end and a little better mileage without sacrificing my shallow water performance.  Prop science is difficult as all boats do not respond the same.  I would appreciate any input or ideas to consider.

I think a large diameter three blade wild mild cupping should run 53-54 mph quite easily but I have not proven that theory yet.  I have to run the large diameter props because my transom if taller than Imensa version with only a 20" shaft motor.  My motor is the 2014 200HO etec which is the 3.3 liter bigblock.  Going back to the normal water intakes will definitely add mph also.

One more side note:  I measured the inside floor width of my friend's Panga Marine 22' without a liner.  It is exactly 2" wider than my boat.
Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 06:38:39 AM »

I forgot to add that the boat drafts 10 - 10 1/2" depending on load at rest with motor trimmed up.  The deepest draft was measured at the center of the boat and not the back.  This is due to the banana design of the boat.  I drifted up on a sand bar and got to measure very well.  Not by choice.  I tried walking to front and back to dislodge but it was a see saw so had to get out and push.  Lesson learned.
reyrey

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 06:57:17 AM »

Is Bemm still building these boats?
avitucci
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »

http://www.2coolfishing.net/ttmbforum/showthread.php?p=4093729

Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 09:25:27 AM »

Bemm is not building these boats currently.  I tried to have one built.  I was about to buy from Richard Beck and then this one came up for sale.  I was lucky.  The Imensa is a good boat but I would not put a 200 on it.  150 or 175 small block would be my max recommendation for the Imensa.  My boat is several hundred pounds heavier.
Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »

I finally got some time to play with new props.  Top speed is still about 50.5 mph.  I did find a prop with more traction though so prop slip percentage got a lot better.  I am getting 36.5 mph at 4000 rpms now.  That should equate to about 4 miles per gallon.  I have another prop to try and need to work on jack plate settings.  Hoping for some time on the water over the holiday. 
Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 01:57:46 PM »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/koq6rbjbwjwsgkh/IMG_0549.JPG?dl=0

Garage picture
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:12:18 PM by Pirate Ship » Logged
Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 02:01:35 PM »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjzilnk84cr7c8x/IMG_0665.JPG?dl=0

Hanging in the boat slip
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:14:08 PM by Pirate Ship » Logged
Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 02:02:08 PM »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/44iqkfu2zhp6waj/IMG_0872.JPG?dl=0

On trailer hooked up to truck
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:16:15 PM by Pirate Ship » Logged
Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 02:02:46 PM »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz49095d27qv340/IMG_0881.JPG?dl=0

rear photo
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:16:57 PM by Pirate Ship » Logged
Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 02:03:20 PM »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55ghomvzyosr5pb/IMG_0970.JPG?dl=0

This picture shows the removable 15' outriggers mounted to console. This was 47 miles into the Gulf of Mexico out of Port Aransas, TX and that is a huge rain storm in background.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:19:20 PM by Pirate Ship » Logged
Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 02:03:45 PM »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/49tjtrohdl6onxi/IMG_1903.JPG?dl=0

Wedding picture from June 2016
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:11:46 PM by Pirate Ship » Logged
Pirate Ship

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 02:07:55 PM »

Finally shared a few photos of the Pirate Ship.

Still running great and having fun.

I am considering selling after the summer if anyone has an interest.  It is one of a kind and loaded with features.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: