Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 05:59:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Size Display for our small Panga Consoles  (Read 7110 times)
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:06:59 PM »

Let's see...a 7-inch, bright, WVGA-resolution touchscreen with built-in GPS and support for Garmin Ethernet radars and NMEA 2000...all at a base price of $1,400?  Sounds like a sweet spot to me.  I can think of many boaters who will be interested, and few comparable choices...
The GPSMap 700 series was announced today and Garmin also put up a buzz site, but the four new MFDs are not yet on the chartplotter page (which is getting to be quite the list).  I don't know when they'll ship, but do know that an extra $100 gets you pre-installed U.S. charts and $200 a built-in fishfinder.  One thing I notice on the screen below, and on several more you can check out on the buzz site, are numerous new ways to display engine and other instrument data.  They look interesting, and it seems reasonable to expect that Garmin will migrate these features to their other MFDs eventually.

Courtesy of Panbo.com

snook321
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:52:04 PM »

Nice find. I've been trying to decide what to put on my new boat. I was looking at the Garmin 545 or the 4212 this unit shoots the gap between the two and its touch screen.
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 05:22:25 PM »

Yea and the best part is it will accept a radar unit. That has been my one gripe about these small displays.

snook321
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:11:20 AM »

I don't think I would use it with a radar, but it's nice to have the option. 
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »

For sure.

I have learned that once you get spoiled by radar you want it on everything you have! My dad has it on his boat and every time im on my panga at night I wish I had it.

yellowtail67

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 06:04:11 AM »

I have a 545 on my Panga and it's great, although the Cal./Mexico chip was recalled. It's off up to 1/2 mile in the S.o.C. need I digress.

Has anyone used the touch screen in salt water environs? It seems like, while it is a "cool" feature the screen would get torn up by the salt and body oil, etc.....My screen has scratches and I'm extremely careful not to touch it.

Any input?
snook321
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 06:18:14 AM »

I have a 545 on my Panga and it's great, although the Cal./Mexico chip was recalled. It's off up to 1/2 mile in the S.o.C. need I digress.

Has anyone used the touch screen in salt water environs? It seems like, while it is a "cool" feature the screen would get torn up by the salt and body oil, etc.....My screen has scratches and I'm extremely careful not to touch it.

Any input?

I thought about the scratches also but I read somewhere that Garmin claim's that hardened, etched-glass screen surfaces are essentially scratch-free on the touch screen models.
yellowtail67

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 07:45:20 AM »

I suppose Garmin's claim could be true, but for my $$$, I'd want to be positive. Just the combination of salt & body oil on the same surface makes me wonder about how the two would react together. That said, if the unit is inside a cockpit maybe it'd be a different story. Mine is outside & totally exposed!
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 08:43:40 AM »

I agree about the touch screen. Though I would not be as worried about scratches on the screen I would be worried that the touch part of the screen would go bad. The first Gen. touch screens they had at Boaters World all shorted out within 6 months.  I have heard though that they have fixed the issues.

snook321
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 09:57:19 AM »

They have great customer service with a 2 year warranty. I might have to try one out and report back to you guys. I get my boat in April so hopefully they're available.. I keep you posted.
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 11:15:50 AM »

Good deal, keep us informed

four boys

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 09:50:03 PM »

any thoughts on this compared to the 4208?
snook321
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 09:37:48 AM »

any thoughts on this compared to the 4208?

I'm sure that the 4208 has a lot more features but it also costs a lot more. I'm just looking for something that will go good with a 23'. If I was getting a bigger boat I would consider the 4208. Also this is a touch screen and the 4802 is not. Just my thoughts.
snook321
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 05:34:11 PM »

A buddy of mine just bought a Garmin 740s and  I've used it twice fishing on his boat. It seems to be a good little unit. I hope so because Andros is installing one one my 23' that should be ready in a couple weeks.
four boys

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 07:36:19 PM »

Let us know how the 740 came out.  I have enjoyed the 4208 and gave into the advice of getting the larger display and due to the concerns of the touch screen.  It not being out yet made the decision a little easier!
I'm still pissed Lowrance has such poor customer service as I would have preferred that side imaging unit they have....way cool!  I think their fish finders are a little better than Garmins also.  Again, I couldn't wait for them to get their stuff together.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: