Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 08:43:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New owner of Mexican Imemsa 25 in Fl  (Read 25688 times)
doc

View Profile Email
« on: May 02, 2010, 03:58:24 PM »

Hey everyone.  Ive been looking for this model boat  for a few years now, it is there commercial fishing model extra heavy duty hull made to with stand the stresses of driving up on the beaches,  and finally closed the deal on one.  Its a bit rough looking. just how I like it.  Ill be restoring it over the next few weeks by installing a 1.5" nidacore deck so that the entire deck will be self bailing, sealing the below deck areas in the process as individual floatation chambers.  Ill be placing a 115hp yammy 4 stroke and bobs machine shop jack plate for the skinny water.  Also adding a center console way in the rear.

Boat will be used for everything from running rivers, everglades trips, keys diving and offshore fishing and diving in the Gulf.  Im thinking about building a rear piloithouse and hard top as well;   Ill wait to see how much nidacore I have left over though.

Anyway, Ill post up some photos of the restore as I go throughit.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your new boat!!!

Please take lots of pictures of the up-fit.

doc

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 02:04:07 PM »

Panga

[attachment deleted by admin]
doc

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 02:05:36 PM »

Stringers...  will sand to glass and float a 2" nidacore deck on top

doc

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 02:09:35 PM »

All nidacore pieces and parts cut to fit with about 1/2" tolerance.  2 inch thick nidacore should keep the boat self bailing until about 1600 lb cargo by my calculations.  The stringers and gunnels will be ground to bare glass tommorrow and I will apply EPS foam between stringers for more floatation and sound/vibration dampening.   I will glass and install the decks on Friday.

Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »

Very cool !!! keep us posted!!!

doc

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 04:55:19 PM »

Glassed in all the decks last two days..... used epoxy for everything.   Full two layers in front and back top and bottom, three layers of glass in the mid deck so I can drop scuba tanks and have orgies and barbeques  there.  Now Im working on the console before electroncs and controlls before glassing it in.

Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 07:04:14 PM »

Looks good!

What kind of power are you going to put on her?

doc

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 03:36:43 PM »

Work on the boat continues.  I rigged up a new trailer yesterday,  now the boat rides so low to the ground that its less than chest high... real easy to load in the gear, also now is completely blocked in front by my van so should add no wind resistance when towing and I doubt will affect fuel milage.

Went to the ramp to swap the trailers out and dropped it in the water  for the first time and I was amazed that even with the new floor i place (added only about 150lbs) the waterline was below the lifting strakes...  literally drawing about 5 inches.  Boat was stable, looked good in the water.

If I go with the light 260#  70 HP engine the shallow water ability of this will be rearkable.

Im waiting for my new tank to come so I can glass in the console....   A bit worried I got one thats too big, 29 gallons, if the boat gets 5 mpg thats 150 mile i need to ride to clear out that gas.  If I go with the small engine, and it gets 7, thats 210 miles. 

If I go with the small engine, might be wise to go with the original  plan and just use a 12 gallon deck tank that Ill keep in the console, then bring some jerry cans for long trips.
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 06:27:29 PM »

Go with the bigger tank and place it dead center of the boat.

More range means more time on the water!

doc

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 07:11:22 AM »

So all glasswork is done.  The console is glassed in.....  open below for gas and fuel, with a 14" high PVC so any water on the deck cannot get into the bilge space/dry storage.  Top of box is for electronics, as boat is pull start, I only need an 8# dry cell to power electronics and LED lighting, located in this same area.    Hatch in back is all dry storage open to bilge....  huge area to hold all equipment off of the deck and organized and dry below.  Rugged dive ladder mount is strengthened by proximity to bulkhead.  I decided on 15 gallon top-side tank which Im hoping will give 80-100 mile range, accessable easily, and removable to wash out phase seperated ethanol and sludge from tank. An additinal 5 gallon jerry can will fit under console right next to this tank for medium trips, extra jerry cans on decks for longer trips, like back across to mexico.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:44:47 AM by doc » Logged
doc

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 07:19:11 AM »

Note boat on trailer, I will rebunk it soon by drilling 2x8 directly to frame oof trailer, selected because the crossbeams are at the exact angle as the non-delta pad deadrise of the hull, so it will be a "low-rider"  four inches closer to ground than seen here; boat will launch at the shallowest ramp with my van tires no where near the water, beach launches are not out of the question either.  Second pic is my high tech rope and anchor locker, curved and angled to double as a back rest  when chilling on the front deck while siiting in the beanbag.

I will grind and paint the netire boat on sunday and it will finally start looking decent.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:37:25 AM by doc » Logged
doc

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »

Just came across this photo, exact same model as mine; you can see the folks sitting on the bulkhead/benches. I blew up the photo and counted at least 19 people. Maybe I should have strap on a second engine and go into business with a Yucatan Ferry service?

doc

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 06:58:35 AM »

So the boat has been fully ground and painted 1st coat,  decided to do a little putty work before second coat so thats the brown, will sand then paint the whole boat again and texture the decks.  The dry storage area is open to the bilge and is about 30 cubic feet.  Plenty of room in  there for all the systems and storage.  The splash well used to be quite small and drain to the deck but I made it much bigger and rerouted the drainage through the transom. Note deck drain hole near bulkhead.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 07:00:59 AM by doc » Logged
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 07:11:21 AM »

Great progress Doc!

I will have to look around but it seems like we have a lot of pics somewhere on here of all of the activities that partake on those pangas.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: