Panga Forum
News:

Registration is now back open. Hopefully the new spam software will work !

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 12:54:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: help me identify my new old panga with pic.  (Read 19668 times)
texas

View Profile Email
« on: August 08, 2010, 04:40:44 AM »

Hello everybody good to be here, and what a great source of of info for panga owners.  I just picked up this hull along with a nice aluminum canopy and a bunch of other stuff.  I couldn't beat the price "FREE" just get it out of my yard and it is yours type thing.  When the hull was brought into the states it was registered in Michigan.  later it was registered in Iowa of all places.  My question is about those fins on the bottom below the transom.  I can't seem to find any other pictures of this specific type of hull design.  I would think it would be Mexican just because of my proximity to the border, but after noticing those two registration stickers I don't have any idea where it came from.  My curiosity is killing me.  thanks for the help and I will post more pics as I progress with the project.  thanks.  Oh and by the way the spell check feature actually flagged panga LOL.
Tex

Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 03:06:41 PM »

man youve got me stumped here!

Does that fin hold it to the water or act as a hydrafoil?

texas

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 03:14:09 PM »

never actually seen it in the water, but the way it is shaped it looks like a hydrafoil. 
androsboatworks
President, Andros BoatWorks

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 03:14:36 PM »

Hello everybody good to be here, and what a great source of of info for panga owners.  I just picked up this hull along with a nice aluminum canopy and a bunch of other stuff.  I couldn't beat the price "FREE" just get it out of my yard and it is yours type thing.  When the hull was brought into the states it was registered in Michigan.  later it was registered in Iowa of all places.  My question is about those fins on the bottom below the transom.  I can't seem to find any other pictures of this specific type of hull design.  I would think it would be Mexican just because of my proximity to the border, but after noticing those two registration stickers I don't have any idea where it came from.  My curiosity is killing me.  thanks for the help and I will post more pics as I progress with the project.  thanks.  Oh and by the way the spell check feature actually flagged panga LOL.
Tex

WOW!!!!!!! That thing is crazy looking!!!!! I have no idea what you have there or how / what kind of outboard is going to push it! Please let us know what's up when you get it running. I'm in Texas often and would love to run it!
androsboatworks
President, Andros BoatWorks

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 03:16:29 PM »

never actually seen it in the water, but the way it is shaped it looks like a hydrafoil. 

its a foil for sure because there is no way it could run on that tear drop shaped v... It must run on that pad but i can't imagine what she would do in a turn... Very interesting!
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 04:29:43 PM »

Do you have any side shots?

Keep us posted!

texas

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 07:23:51 PM »

She is 25 feet long and at the widest point just under 8 feet, and at the stern which is the narrowest just under 6 feet.  The few things I know about the boat is it had a 115 hp motor on it and it ran real strong with it.  The side profile looks to me like typical panga.  To be honest I don't know if has ever seen salt water in the states.  guess I found a rare one.  Is it worth fixing up or am I just better off finding a Mexican panga to work on?  The hull is in decent shape and will need some work.  Eventually I am interested in going on offshore trips with her.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:28:53 PM by texas » Logged
Captain Tyler
Administrator
Founding Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »

No man you've got to restore it now, you've got us all strung along to see if this thing runs or not!!

Coconut Sunrise
Blue Star Club
Captains Club

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 07:40:11 PM »

RESTORE IT MY VOTE !!

love to see it running with that unique stern
you have us hooked now so keep us posted !!

Coconut
texas

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 04:40:32 AM »

ok gonna take a while but I will post pics as i go along.  I noticed it has a couple of spots on the keel in the front, right on the ridge that will probably leak.  any suggestions for repair?  Maybe some Biaxial W/ epoxy?  this is my first major fiberglass restore so I am pretty new to this.  as soon as I get a chance I will post some video. 
texas

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 12:41:02 PM »

ok some more pics

Just in case some one had a hard time believing it was registered in michigan and iowa here you go

Most Mexican Pangas I have seen are basically straight.  in other words the dont narrow towards the stern.  This Panga is about 1 foot wider at the widest point than any Mexican panga I have seen.  hopefully that translates to more stability.  The transom was rebuilt by the previous owner and this thing is rock solid, but still a lot of work to be done to this thing.  Any advice on what to use for stringer material.  I live pretty close to the Dargel dealership in south texas so I can get pretty much whatever I need pretty quick.  thanks.
doc

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 07:48:14 AM »

First off, AWESOME BOAT!

Second, That boat has none of the characteristics of a Panga, I dont think you could consider it one. I would consider it with its shape to be a dory;  also the fins are not foils as they seem to have absolutely no  Foil shape like an airplane wing;  I have thought about similar fin design as this should drastically decrease roll  while at rest and vertical accelerations from waves while underway and really smooth out the motion on the ocean, but I dont think they would cause lift and I dont think the boat is designed to ride on them while on plane.  With the very narrow stern and running line and flared sides Im not sure this boat  is designed to be up on a hard plane either.  Looks like they are fins, designed to satbilize the ride only, so I think the boat is best characterized as a "fin stabilized semi-displacemnt dory".

This design seems unique and innovative, my guess is that it was made by a US tinkerer as an experiment and not in mexico.  One way you might be able to tell is to measure the transom;  a 22.5 inch transom suggests latin american build,  a 20 or 25 inch suggests  american build....  but where do you measure too?

As a semidisplacemt dory, I think the boat will have a definitive hull speed at about 18-20 mph at best  eyeballing it;  I think you will achieve this speed with a smaller engine than a 115...   any extra power past what is needed to hit hull speed will be wasted in only forming a larger boaw wave;  more photos would help further characterize the hull. The fins will add some  stability at the cost of increased drag;  I would go with a 75-90HP or so just eyeballing it.

YES! you should get it re-habbed.  Epoxy would be a good way to go and easy to work with, but you wont be able to gel coat over it so would need to grind/sand the whole boat and paint.  If you want to stay with gel coat use poly-ester or vynyl-ester resin ( I would go with vynil ester)

Keep us informed!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:06:15 AM by doc » Logged
texas

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 03:15:54 PM »

WOW!  very interesting.  I will get some transom measurements next time I can.  I got a quote from a fiberglass guy yesterday about putting in the stringers and new floors.  His quote $6,200, not really sure what he was smoking.  I am gonna get several more quotes but looks like I am going to be doing most of the work myself.  Should be fun, my first big fiberglass project!
doc

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 05:48:47 PM »

dude do it yourself.  check out my thread on here for guidance, imensa panga in FL, will answer any tech questions you have as long as you keep posting updates.
doc

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 05:50:56 PM »

hey throw up some shots looking at the boat straight on the beam as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: